Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700r4 shifting too quick
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 05:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 shifting too quick

I have a 1980 Volvo 265 that has a Vortec 4.3 in it and a 700r4. The 700r4 is rebuilt by a professional transmission shop that does this day in and day out.

The transmission shifts like it should, the engine doesnt lug or anything like that, but it will hit 2nd gear really fast (like 5mph or less and that shift is extra firm) and is in overdrive by about 35 mph. It kicks down like it should when you push the throttle down far enough, BUT, even with the pedal on the floor it will shift to the next gear around 3,500 RPM. It wont rev up to 5 or 6k like it should.

Due to this, it lacks the get up and go that it could and should have. If you shift it manually it does great.

What could be the problem? The transmission shop reinstalled the transmission and adjusted the TV cable and all that, so that all SHOULD be fine.. but I dont know.

The year, model and gear ratio of the vehicle that the transmission came from is unknown.

Anyone got any ideas for me?