Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700r4 shifting too quick
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 07:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwwl View Post
I hate to say anything, because i don't know much about the 700, but i'd guess like the average joe. I think you tranny is set up for a vehicle with a different gear ratio so it shift to soon in every gear. What is your rear gear ratio? You may have to call one of the rear tranny experts, but they will need to know alot about your vehicle and the tranny as far as what year it is.

My guess is that you're both probably right. The governor is set for a different vehicle. Problem is that I dont know what vehicle the trans came from, or what its gear ratio was, nor do I know what the current vehicle gear ratio is. I need to figure that out so I can order the correct speedometer gear. Its off by about 7mph.

Anyways. I need the trans to shift around 5,000 or 5,500. Stock red line for this engine is 5,600 RPM. This car will kick some butt with an appropriately shifting transmission. It has alot of get up and go to it, but if you shift it manually and rev it up higher, it goes even better.