Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700r4 shifting too quick
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454 View Post
My guess is that you're both probably right. The governor is set for a different vehicle. Problem is that I dont know what vehicle the trans came from, or what its gear ratio was, nor do I know what the current vehicle gear ratio is. I need to figure that out so I can order the correct speedometer gear. Its off by about 7mph.

Anyways. I need the trans to shift around 5,000 or 5,500. Stock red line for this engine is 5,600 RPM. This car will kick some butt with an appropriately shifting transmission. It has alot of get up and go to it, but if you shift it manually and rev it up higher, it goes even better.
Seems you need to gather information on gear ratio and stuff.

the governor is under the press on round cover near rear of main trans case (if you dont know) ... You need more room to install the cover back on, than to remove it. Check that before you blast the cover off with a screw driver and hammer.

On a 700r4 / 4L60 trans, the valve body is calibrated with the governor to some degree. Different strength springs on the the shift valves , different size shift valves.. Do Not take this to mean that each valve body is calibrated with each governor. What I am saying there are some variations on the valve body too.

The recalibration kit is best option for most DIY guys, rather than grinding on the weights.

Inner governor springs affect shift timing the most at 35mph and lower... the inner weights affect shift timing most above the 35mph. The springs and weights work together, I am just pointing out what affects what at a certain mph for a FYI to you work with..... gear ration , tire size affect that stuff too

this si not a hard line, it is a guide line on the 35 mph comment.