Hot Rod Forum banner

700R4 shifting too soon

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  viperc10 
#1 ·
Hello fellow hot rodders. I am new to the forum and I'm having issues with my 700R4 where it is shifting way too early, even at WOT.

A little background...I own a '64 C10 with a recently installed GMPP Crate 350HO engine. It is mated to a 700R4, but I don't know what car the transmission was pulled out of. I purchased this truck a couple of years ago and the original owner was not forthcoming with all the information about where the various components came from. I was told the original weak 350 engine came out of a '75 C10 and that the trans has been rebuilt.

The issue I'm having is even at WOT, the trans shifts just under 3K rpm. Also, if I'm cruising in high gear and go WOT, the trans will not downshift. I need WOT shifts to occur closer to 5K rpm with this engine.

I've been doing some research and some folks say to adjust he TV Cable. I've already checked this and my mechanic that installed the GMPP crate motor also confirmed that the cable is properly adjusted. The other solution I found was to replace the weights/springs on the governor. Could this be the reason why the trans is not shifting correctly? I'm not that familiar with transmissions so I don't know much about the governor.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.:)

See less See more
#2 ·
Well i'm no expert on the 700 or anything else, but I think your right about the governor and the springs. The 200 4r's have the same type of problem and you have to make a change to the governor and weights. A lot of other posts I've read about the same problem, all talk about changing governor weights and prings or both.

#3 ·
Thanks dwwl

I appreciate the information dwwl. I was thinking that might be the case, but wanted to double check and to see if others agreed. In checking some sites (summit and etc) the governor for the 700R4- is pretty reasonable. I will look into ordering a governor that is set for my engine WOT rpm range of 5000-5500. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.