Hot Rod Forum banner

700r4 shifts early

11K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  dwwl 
#1 ·
Need Transmission Help Please. I have a Chevy 350 and 700r4 with 3.73 rear end and 33" tires. It's in a truck/hotrod. The TV cable is all the way out at WOT. it shifts from 1-2 under 10 MPH and 2-3 under 20. How do I get it to shift from 1-2 at 20 and so on? It is a cruising vehicle around town and don't want to burn up the transmission. I was told to get a Corvette governor---will this work? anyone know what weights and springs are in a Corvette governor? Just really want it to shift right and not burn up in stop and go driving. Changed fluid a few weeks back and there is nothing in it.

#2 ·
The geometry of the TV cable throw is the important part.

Full pull at WOT, yes, but at idle there should not be any slack in the cable.

You want to line pressure inside the trans to start rising as the throttle moves off idle.

If you get your TV cable throw geometry correct and adjusted correctly your shifts may still be early but not stacked.

I have the same problem as you but my shifts aren't stacked, just to soon with light throttle. I'm in third by 18-20MPH and in 4th gear by 35-38MPH.

I'm going to tinker with the governor next.

#3 ·
Beezer; Welcome to Hotrodders.

I edited the thread title.

We do not use Help Please!!!! in thread titles here. Place proper information in the thread title. That provides the members with an idea of your questions.

Very helpful group of folks here

#4 ·
Everything with the TV cable is correct. I was told that if I drive it too much in city and not on hwy it will burn up. The "stacked" shifting isn't good for it. I'm going to try the Corvette Gov tomorrow if I can find one in town. Any other ideas? Thanks for the reply!!!

#5 ·
Installed a new lokar TV Cable and throttle. Got out and drove it and once it got warm it seemed to shift better. Will heat do this? Also, will high or low fluid level have an effect? Just ordered the B&M weight kit and don't want to mess with the governor if I don't have to. Thoughts. Sorry for all the questions. Not a huge fan of automatics. It was my only choice do to set up....

I have 400 hp 350 with 3.73 rear end and 33" tires. What speed should I be in in 4th? I never drive it in O drive just 3rd. Never go fast enough-needed balancing on tires.

#6 ·
I'm not a real fan of the 700. I like the 2004r better. Had somewhat of the same problem with it. Read it somewhere or was told, to lengthen the spring in the tv valve. Its the one ahead of the valve. Solved my problem. I'm thinking the 700 has the same type of set up. My 1-2 shift is now at 18mph, 2-3 at 34. IF you get the stiffer spring, you will have to reset the tv cable again and use the pressure gauge again. Ok found the info. It was in my shift kit. It came with three different length springs. If you wanted it to shift a little later, You use the longer colored spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.