700r4 slipping - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 01:20 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 slipping

hi guys. it's been a couple days . i have a 86 k5 blazer with a 700r4, it was slipping and the fluid was burnt, so i attempted my first rebuild , i followed a video on youtube ,i put the trany back in and it still slips in all gears , i double checked the tv cable adjustment, it seems correct. i don't have i pressure gauge to test the pressure and i live in rual alaska , so getting one could take some time. i did not change the torque converter. could this be my problem ? i would appreciate any input or suggestions. thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

Assuming you set up the clearances correctly, I would put money on the pump not putting out enough line pressure. The only way to know would be put pressure gauge on it to see what's happening.

Keith
Old 04-25-2012, 11:00 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerproject
hi guys. it's been a couple days . i have a 86 k5 blazer with a 700r4, it was slipping and the fluid was burnt, so i attempted my first rebuild , i followed a video on youtube ,i put the trany back in and it still slips in all gears , i double checked the tv cable adjustment, it seems correct. i don't have i pressure gauge to test the pressure and i live in rual alaska , so getting one could take some time. i did not change the torque converter. could this be my problem ? i would appreciate any input or suggestions. thanks
With all the mining and heavy equipment in AK, you can probably get a dozen gauges in your hometown! But seriously, a pressure gauge can be made from nothing more complicated than a gauge having about 400-500psi capacity, a flexible hose used for a grease gun (these hoses are rated for a lot of pressure, 3000psi in this case), and fittings to make the attachments.

The one I have used for years is shown below (sorry about the photo). I have about 6-7 fittings that will attach it to most anything, tranny, EFI, whatever. Works fine.

Last edited by cobalt327; 04-25-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:08 PM

700r4 slipping

hi guys, thanks for the clues on getting a pressure gauge , i am going to town today to try to come up with a pressure gauge (or make one ).however i do not know where to attach the pressure gauge to the trany and what the pressure readings should be, any help in that area would be greatly appreciated.thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 02:45 PM

Last photo:

The main line pressure tap is on the left side of the trans above gear selector shaft. If you need pressures, I just sent some info off to another HRBB member, I can fwd them to you. PM me with your email and I will do it when I get home from work tonight.

Keith
Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 PM

Last journal entry: The Cheetah
Last photo:

Remember,if pressure calls for,say,just to give you the idea,60-90 psi in D...if you have 60 in D at idle,don't assume its good until you increase the RPM'S in D to make sure you are getting LINE RISE as the RPM'S increase,and just doesn't stay at 60....the 60 number would be the min.[idle] and the 90 would be the max at WOT...No need to go to WOT...just goosing it a few times in D will give you the results... the pressure has to rise as the RPM'S increase.....do this test in each gear,but only for a few seconds in each gear,or you will overheat the converter.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« 86 Iroc z | 4t65hd »