700r4 slips from 2nd to 3rd gear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 07:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 slips from 2nd to 3rd gear

I'm having a problem with my truck. It's a 1989 chevy 1500 4x4 with a 700r4 trans and it slips from 2nd to 3rd when up to temp. when its cold it shifts fine. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is something I could do or check without pulling it out of the truck and disassembling it. Basically, the cheapest and easiest way?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 02:05 AM
Roddin in OK

Last journal entry: Still Moving Forward
Last photo:

slipping ain't good

You can change the fluid and filter and add a quart of Lucas to it.You'll only get 4 quarts out when you pull the pan but i had one slipping and lucas helped temporarily.It sounds like the 3-4 clutch pack is slipping so it's unfortunatly just a matter of time.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:58 AM

Last photo:

The only easy thing to check would be the TV cable adjustment. If that doesn't help. One of these will>>>>>>>>
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...60-700R4HPkits

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...ode=4L60-700R4
Old 12-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott29
I'm having a problem with my truck. It's a 1989 chevy 1500 4x4 with a 700r4 trans and it slips from 2nd to 3rd when up to temp. when its cold it shifts fine. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is something I could do or check without pulling it out of the truck and disassembling it. Basically, the cheapest and easiest way?

Mileage on this transmission?

Any recent repair work or service to the transmission?
Old 12-07-2008, 03:06 PM

700r4 slips from 2nd to 3rd gear

Ive had the truck for about a year, bought it used and the guy I bought it from said it was a new trans. I took his word as good. obviously i've been had. I tried adjusting the tv cable looser and tighter, but it only changes the shift points. When driving easy, it shifts fine, but if you get on it, it starts acting stupid. first to second is fine, second pulls good, when it goes to shift, the rpm raises then shifts. It dont know if he got it from the junkyard or where it came from. I got a trans rebuild book and looked at troubleshooting, it said that it could be the governer, three-four clutch pack, misadjusted cable,and something else I can't remember. I didn't pull the pan, but pulled the cooling line off removed some fluid and added the lucas trans fix. it seemed to help a little, but it still slips. Is it possible that the valve body might be hanging up; or a bad governer? Or should I go ahead and pull the trans and check the internals? maybee just a bad band? I can't afford a whole rebuild kit, but need the truck. any advice would be much appriciated.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.