Hot Rod Forum banner

700r4 stalls car when put in gear?

17K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Hogg 
#1 ·
I have an 82 chevy camaro that had a 305 with a mild cam, the computer in this car has been disconnected and every time I would put it in gear it would die. I replaced the torque converter with a non lockup stock converter and it does the same thing. I now have a 383 with 440 HP and it does the same thing with the same transmission and converter, what is my problem I have been searching everywhere and cannot find anything that fits my problem please help.

This post has been deleted
#3 ·
With all the work you have done, It is hard to believe you are having a problem.

If it all works except the car dies when you put it in gear, I would think the idle is to low and when you put it in gear its drop the idle more and stalls out the car.
Also vacuum leaks or miss routed vacuum lines would show these symptoms.

Or maybe a combination of idle and to retarded timing..

What does it do if you hold the idle up while shifting into gear ¿

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
Again what happens when you hold the idle up when put it in gear ¿¿

Does it drag / bog the motor down. Like the tranny is engaged and lowering the RPM's and trying to move the car ¿?

I am not sure what the stall of a shock converter is, but the motor might be idling at a higher RPM than the converter can handle..

#9 ·
That leads me to believe the idle is higher than the stall on the converter. Which makes the trans engage and is putting a drag on the engine.

I would try to lower the idle first before I went and bought a converter with a higher stall.

I imagine you trying to drive your beast down the street and having to hold the brake and gas just to keep it running..Lol the guys next to you must be all like...This guy is crazy trying to power brake here on the streets... Lol

#13 ·
I just read something about a problem with cars stalling in drive and reverse because the TCC is engaged.

A snap-ring being upside down ---- converter clutch apply valve snap ring in backwards

rounded edge installed facing inside to the valve..flat edge facing outside away from valve

#14 ·
He has a non-lockup TC in his car. But you are right, an engaging TCC will stall the engine.

On a budget, try a V6 TC. Mine stalls to 2800rpm behind a bone stock Vortec 350. But much better results will be had from a QUALITY aftermarket TC They arent cheap but you get what you pay for. Yank, Precision Industries.

peace
Hog

#16 ·
Dacco lists & sells a B-29DCLF converter that supposedly stalls at 2100RPM. That is just a range and it will probably stall higher, or lower, in different vehicles with different weights, or different amount of torque production.

In the B-85 line there is a VJCX which everyone calls the "Trailblazer SS" converter and it too stalls around 2100 as per the box. These, I believe, are the highest stall converters you can get without going to a smaller diameter body such as the 10" B-24 as used in the 4 cyl. S-10.

If you want a higher stall than the 2100, and you are running a 4L60E/700R4 then Dacco will sell you whatever stall range you want in the 10" B-24 converter body, and will custom make the converter for your requested stall speed. Prices start at $395 locally, but should be close from any Dacco supplier nationwide.

#18 ·
Its kinda weird that peoplel call that TC a "Trailblazer SS" TC because a TC from a TBSS wont fit any pre 1999 4l60e's. It would only fit behind engines that are GEN 3/4 4.8,5.3,5.6 and 6.0 l engines.

If you want a higher stalling TC in a vehicle that has a GEN 3 or GEN 4 engine, you need to use the Trailblazer 4.2l Inline 6 TC. It stalls to about 2900rpm behind the bigger 5.3/6.0 V8's. If you used an actual TC that came from a Trailblazer SS 6.0 behind a 4.8, you would actually have a lower stall speed.

Here is the link to the Alphanumeric k codes, as I see my above link is dead.
the highest stall TC from GM that works in the GEN 1(TBI,carb), 1E(Vortec305/350) and GEN 2(LT1/4, L99 4.3 V8) th700r4/60/60e/65e/70e is the DBLF L35 4.3 V6 TC, which has the same guts as the 1986+ Vette TC except it has a different TCC damper.
THE HERD: Torque Converter Upgrade
I can brakestall this TC to around 2800rpm behind a stock Vortec 350 which is rated at 330 lb/ft at 2800rpm, but I'm outputting more than that now.
The good thing about the stock DBLF L35 S-10 95+ and the DBCF(86+ vette) is that they are effecient. Lower cost aftermarket TC's get into bending fins to change stall speed, this causes the TC to be less inefficient. You get what you pay for. COmpanies like precision Inudstries, Yank and CIrcle D make strong efficient TC's but you will pay for them.

peace
Hog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.