Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   700R4 stuck in 1st (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/700r4-stuck-1st-218948.html)

robertwc 05-03-2012 05:46 AM

700R4 stuck in 1st

I have a 1988 700R4 out of a 1500 I just rebuilt. I put if back in and it worked fine for a couple of days, then it wouldn't shift out of first until it got warm.

I put a transgo shift kit in it hoping that would fix it. It didn't. So now I took it back out and all the way apart. I don't see anything wrong. :smash:

Does anyone know what is making it do this?

Quick99 05-03-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertwc
I have a 1988 700R4 out of a 1500 I just rebuilt. I put if back in and it worked fine for a couple of days, then it wouldn't shift out of first until it got warm.

I put a transgo shift kit in it hoping that would fix it. It didn't. So now I took it back out and all the way apart. I don't see anything wrong. :smash:

Does anyone know what is making it do this?

First check tour TV cable and make sure its adjusted right. Next you will have to pull the valve body and check the TV valve and the shift valves and make sure nothing is sticking. Also your governer valve could be stuck. Pull the governor and look at the gear and make sure its not chewed up. Also hold the governor so the gear is pointing up and move the weights open and closed and see if the valve moves up and down.

Quick99 05-03-2012 06:02 AM

I forgot also if you pull the valve body make sure you used the right valve body gaskets. Make sure no holes are covered by the gaskets.

robertwc 05-03-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quick99
First check tour TV cable and make sure its adjusted right. Next you will have to pull the valve body and check the TV valve and the shift valves and make sure nothing is sticking. Also your governer valve could be stuck. Pull the governor and look at the gear and make sure its not chewed up. Also hold the governor so the gear is pointing up and move the weights open and closed and see if the valve moves up and down.

Thanks for the reply,
The valves are all free, I just updated the springs in them. I'll look at the governor today. The gear looked ok, but I haven't rechecked its movement. I don't understand why that would go bad. I know its the right gasket I triple checked that.

Quick99 05-03-2012 06:24 AM

Just takes a tiny bit of debris to stick a valve.

robertwc 05-03-2012 03:54 PM

Follow up

I looked at the governor today. It seemed like it moved freely until I compared it to another one. The old didn't move the last little bit where the outside plates pull away from the inside. Also there wasn't a pin in the gear. So I'm gonna put this other one in and see if it does any better.