Hot Rod Forum banner

700r4 stuck in first, won't shift

9K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  phatfenderchevys 
#1 ·
I installed a '92 700r4 from a Bravada in an '89 K1500 that has a carbureted 250 six cylinder. I had wired an '86 200r4 in an Astro to work without a computer a few years ago, and it's still working fine, but the one in the truck won't shift out of first. It worked fine in the Bravada. I wired it the same as the Astro which was wired as advised here. Can anybody offer some advice.

#3 ·
Couple things. The wiring for the lock-up torque converter has nothing to do with shifting. I'm guessing you know how to tell a 4L60-E from a 4L60 (late TH700R4)

If the TV is left un-hooked with an OEM trans (TV checkball in place) the trans will default to max pressure. Very late harsh or no upshift.

TV valve could be stuck.

Or governor valve is stuck.

#4 ·
The TV, and whatever is behind it's spring moves freely. The governor moves freely, the plastic gear is fine and when installed, hooks to it's drive gear and won't turn. I don't know the difference between a 4L60-E and a 4L60. Also, I should have mentioned that the transmission sat outside, under cover for a couple of years. The pan was free of fibers, the fluid didn't sparkle, smelled good and there was no water inside, that's why I didn't mention it before. Any other advice?

#5 ·
I do not know of many 250 inline 6 engines that had a 4l60 trans behind them. The geometry for the TV cable at the throttle must be close for the trans to operate.

If the TV cable minimum setting is too loose the trans may default to max line pressure and will shift late like a WOT situation. This was mentioned in other post.

the shift valves may be stuck from sitting out side in the weather from condensation.

#6 ·
The truck had a worn out 4.3 and I had a rebuilt 250, so I put it in the truck. It worked fine with the 5 speed manual, but the trans took a crap. All I had was the OD automatic, so in it went. Not knowing better, I had set up the TV cable like a turbo. Now that I know better, I drilled a hole in the throttle linkage bracket on the six and fooled with the setting on the cable and now have 1, 2, 3, but no 4th or lockup. Any more advice? Thanks for all the advice you guys have offered, this has been a learning experience.

Attachments

#9 ·
i have an inline 6 with a 700r4 that ive had in the car since 1996, and getting it right took some time. if the link that ssedan put up shows how much travel your supposed to have, then once you get that situated, the cable needs to be set where the cable is tight at WOT.
below is a pic on how i did mine., crude but effective :D

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.