Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   700R4 stuck in reverse (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/700r4-stuck-reverse-148858.html)

famous 4130 11-27-2008 09:07 PM

700R4 stuck in reverse

Ok so this site has been VERY helpful so far but i still cannot track down an answer specific to my problem.

I just bought a very clean 1989 suburban. the guy sold it cheap because he parked it after a drive and upon starting it again it, every gear was reverse.

i looked at the truck the governor was a brand new unit, the TV cable seemed well connected, the fluid was clean and at the right level, the wiring harness was clean and installed, the shift linkage was A-OK, and all in all the tranny seemed to be in good shape.

i started the truck in neutral, it seemed to be in reverse already. i put it in park and stabbed the gas a bit THEN it went into park, otherwise every gear including neutral was reverse.

i am thinking all signs point to a stuck valve in the valve body or a disconnected shift linkage. if thats the case what is the likelyhood that a trans-flush and a filter would help un stick it.

the tranny has around 20,000 miles on it, i'm twenty years old and everything i know about trannys i have learned from this site over the last three days so i'm pretty damn new to this.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVICE!

Crosley 11-28-2008 07:34 AM

I would pull the trans pan for a look see. Check linkage hook up inside the pan.

Since you have little experience with a transmission , I would suggest you find someone with trans knowledge to help.

If the trans shifts in & out of park , I would suspect there is an internal problem causing the 'reverse only ' situation.

Flushing fluid will not help this trans

CustomConspiracy 11-28-2008 08:10 AM

Shiftless

I know you said the linkage was "a-ok" but I tend to focus on the very simple things first, otherwise I tend to complicate things and end up buying parts I don't need, or paying Mechanics I don't need to.
Did you just see that the linkage was all there.....or did you actually get under it and watch it whole someone else tried to shift it?
Also detach the linkage and see if you can shift it by hand.
Is this a hard lickage or a cable linkage?
Does the trans shift lever move through all the spots or is it frozen in reverse?

CustomConspiracy 11-28-2008 08:13 AM

I'm a dummy

I should have read you post better....you answered most of what I asked.....need more sleep I guess.

famous 4130 11-28-2008 10:15 AM

well, i have not dropped the pan yet because i havent had time. i think i could handle checking out the guts inside. on another forum i read that there is a parking linkage and a shift linkage and its not impossible to loose the s clip on it.

the thing is though... once i have it in park, i can shift it back into reverse but its not a crisp "foot on the brake feel it" shift it kinda slowly half assed goes into reverse... leading me to believe my tranny has some sludge action going on.

famous 4130 11-28-2008 10:17 AM

... oh yeah and the shifter on the column uses no cables that i could see and it clicks where ever the gear should be, just like normal