700r4 to th350c conversion - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011, 10:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 to th350c conversion

I have a 87 c10 that has a 700r4 but the trans burnt up. I bought a th350c and it has a green and a brown wire coming off the drivers side of it that I don't know where to hook them up and on the passenger side there is 2 prongs up by the dipstick that I don't know what hooks to them. All the factory wiring is not hooked up to the motor because I converted it from fuel injection to a carb the wiring is still hooked up to the 700r4. So can I use the wiring off the 700r4 some how or can someone tell me where to hook all theese wires up.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 11:00 AM

Last photo:

I am sure that Someone here knows the answer please post
Old 03-23-2011, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

The switch on the passenger side is a Spark Control Switch, it can be ignored.
I'm not sure about the Green & Brown wire colors but, Pin-A goes to 12V+ from the Brake Light Switch and Pin-D goes to -Ground on the TH350C. Should be able to see the ABCD terminals marked on the Plug.

On the 87 the ECM controls Lockup so you may want to just install a Toggle switch on the wire from the Brake Switch to activate TCC Lockup for Freeway use.

This is for swapping in a 700R4 but, will give you some pointers>> http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/lockup.htm
Old 03-24-2011, 12:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
The switch on the passenger side is a Spark Control Switch, it can be ignored.
I'm not sure about the Green & Brown wire colors but, Pin-A goes to 12V+ from the Brake Light Switch and Pin-D goes to -Ground on the TH350C. Should be able to see the ABCD terminals marked on the Plug.

On the 87 the ECM controls Lockup so you may want to just install a Toggle switch on the wire from the Brake Switch to activate TCC Lockup for Freeway use.

This is for swapping in a 700R4 but, will give you some pointers>> http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/lockup.htm
Can I run the trans without the lockup hooked up? I have heard some say it won't hurt anything but others say it will heat the trans up and mess it up. If I do hook a toggle switch up when should I turn the lockup on? If I turn it on when I get to 3rd gear or once I get to 40 mph or so will it work fine?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb3
Can I run the trans without the lockup hooked up? I have heard some say it won't hurt anything but others say it will heat the trans up and mess it up. If I do hook a toggle switch up when should I turn the lockup on? If I turn it on when I get to 3rd gear or once I get to 40 mph or so will it work fine?
Yes, the TH350C can be run with the TCC unlocked and not cause damage.
You can switch the Lockup on anytime the Engine is turning enough rpm to prevent lugging. Around town at slow speeds it's not really needed.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:02 AM

Last photo:

Leads one to believe that the 700 burned up due to no signal from (disconnected?) ecm or the TV had the wrong geometry on the new carb. A toggle switch would do the trick on the 350C but inevitably you will forget to turn it off while slowing to a stop or turning causing lugging and that makes that solution a pita. I think there is a way to attach hot to brake switch so when activating the brakes; it will disengaged Lockup. Driveshaft length the same? Crossmember the same?
Old 03-24-2011, 06:07 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergusonic
Leads one to believe that the 700 burned up due to no signal from (disconnected?) ecm or the TV had the wrong geometry on the new carb. A toggle switch would do the trick on the 350C but inevitably you will forget to turn it off while slowing to a stop or turning causing lugging and that makes that solution a pita. I think there is a way to attach hot to brake switch so when activating the brakes; it will disengaged Lockup. Driveshaft length the same? Crossmember the same?
The 700 was on its last leg when I bought the truck. The ecm is still in the truck but it is not hooked up to anything since I did the carb conversion.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:31 AM

Last photo:

The original wires to the Trans Solenoid are already routed through the Brake switch so when the Brake pedal is depressed it will disengage the TCC. It wont chug with the Toggle switched on. The ECM supplys the -Ground on Pin-D for Lockup.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSedan64
The original wires to the Trans Solenoid are already routed through the Brake switch so when the Brake pedal is depressed it will disengage the TCC. It wont chug with the Toggle switched on. The ECM supplys the -Ground on Pin-D for Lockup.
Is there already a constant +12v going to pin a that only looses power when hiting the brakes?
If So can I just cut the wire goin to pin d and hook it up to a toggle switch wich is just grounded. That way when I. Flip the switch it will ground pin d which would complete the curcuit?
Old 03-29-2011, 03:22 AM

Last photo:

It should work. Check it out with a Volt/Ohm meter.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:23 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Below are some diagrams that may be useful to anyone wanting to use the TCC as it was intended.

I have a TH350C in my '80 Malibu wagon. Being an '80 it has no ECM- just a fenderwell-mounted TCC vacuum switch (closes at 7 in/Hg, opens at 2.5 in/Hg) and the interrupter at the brake switch. It's a fairly straightforward set up and could be easily duplicated if "seamless" TCC operation was desired.

While no harm may come from running w/o lock up, I would recommend a tranny cooler be added if the TH350C was going to be used w/o lock up. There's a pretty hefty drop in RPM when it engages, so there IS a good amount of 'slippage' going on when the TC isn't locked. The more torque that's applied, the more slippage occurs.

More info by searching this board, and:

Manual wiring toggle swith for TH350C
replacing a th350 with a th350c?
Building a TH350C from scratch
th 250 case, same as 350
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tra...vs-200-r4.html
Attached Images
File Type: bmp TCC WIRING DIAGRAM.bmp (525.0 KB, 85 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TCC 80 vette.pdf (45.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: pdf TCC LOCK UP B&M GOOD.pdf (135.1 KB, 104 views)

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.