700r4 Torque converter Chatter(no gears) upon installation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 08:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 Torque converter Chatter(no gears) upon installation

Here is exactly what happened:
Had a 700r4 rebuilt and purchased a new torque converter from the same shop. Before raising the tranny up behind the 400sbc I had to stab the torque converter onto the transmission. I could tell it wasn't going all the way in so I rotated the torque converter so that the two grooves lined up with the to notches I could see inside the transmission behind the front seal. Bingo it slid in further and I figured I did right,I couldn't get my fingers in between the converter and the tranny-front to reach the seal, it still seemed like it should have gone in a little further, but I didn't think that the seal should be completely butted up against the weld of the torque converter. So I raised it behind the sbc, a little too high I am sure because I know I got the converter in a bind with the flexplate. I tighteded the bellhousing up the the motor and I heard a ding, so I backed off and lowered the tranny a hair or two. Then she mated perfectly. I tightened the 3 short bolts on the flexplate to the converter.I had put a full quart of ATF in the torque converter prior to placing it on the tranny. I put 6 quarts in through the dipstick, then turned her on, I heard chattering right by the torque converter, so I killed it immediately, maybe ran for 15-20 seconds. Took the converter dust cover off. and ran it again for 30 seconds. Still chattering. Added 5 more quarts while it was not running, then ran it for half a minute, checked to see if it would shift,NO GEARS what so ever, killed it, then later ran it again for about a minute, gave it a little rev to see if the pump just needed to fill up or the filter needed to be saturated. The level went down some the last two times I ran it. Gentlemen I'm about to cry, and I am a man, men don't cry. Do I take the tranny out and restab the torque converter, or take it all the way out and take it back to the shop. Heard I should back off the flexplate bolts, but they'd rattle loose Im sure of it.I am worried the torque converter punched a hole in whatever it touches in the tranny when I had it in a bind, wasn't a bad bind though. Let me hear your two cents please, I've hunted the net, so I would not bother you boys, but here I am. Thanks for all your help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

I hate to tell you this but, I think you may have broke the Rotor in the Pump and it will probably have to come back out. That ping you heard was probably the Rotor snapping.
Read this thread>> did I break the pump? there's a Pic of a broken rotor Crosley posted in this Thread.

Last edited by SSedan64; 01-26-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:26 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

The torque converter might have slipped out some while you were jacking up the tranny. Strange that the bell housing would mate up all the way to the engine with no gap if the converter wasn't in the right posistion unless something broke. Better pull it and make sure.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:55 PM

thanks for the info, I will be pulling it out tomorrow evening, I will shine a light in the seal to see if there are any broken pieces, I just don't think I put it in that much of a bind, but I don't know how delicate the internals of a tranny are. I paid someone to rebuild it. I was told to take one of the cooler tubing off to see if the trans is pumping ATF, even if it is, that chattering has got to be a problem? Unless it will shut up after I run it for a while? Anyway I will report the outcome after tomorrow evenings disection. Thanks again for the comments and links to info.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:13 PM

Last photo:

When you install the converter, you need to rotate it & press in on it. Should feel/hear 3 clicks. The Input Shaft splines, Stator Support splines and Pump Drive Lugs/Splines need to engage.
You should have 1/8" to 3/16" clearance between the TC & Flexplate before sliding the TC forward to bolt it to the Flexplate. If not it's not fully/correctly installed/seated.
You either have a Pump problem or internal TC problem.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:24 PM

got her out, yes there were broken pieces, looked just like the pump pictures you forwarded me to. The shop is going to look at it for me, hope it doesn't need an entire rebuild, only ran for 2 minutes 15-30 second intervals. Seriously, thanks for all your help.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:06 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Sorry to hear that. At least you know now what the chatter is. After you get it fixed up and get er' back up to the engine, re-check that the converter is still all the way in. (I really don't think I need to tell you that now ).

DON'T DO THAT AGAIN! Good luck, thanks for the quick update, and let us know when you get it going.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.