Hot Rod Forum banner

700r4 torque converter to flex plate question

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  BR57 
#1 ·
My first thread guys, so go easy on me. I did a several searches regarding my question and seemed to have gotten conflicting info.
Here's what I've got.
I am trying to bolt together a 700r4 tranny (ser.# 3MK207D), to a 350 (325 hp). I have read from several treads that there should be 1/8" to 3/16" space between torque converter and flex plate with comverter pushed all the way into the tranny.
I have just a hair over 5/16". Some people say it's fine to use spacers, others say that's a no - no. What's a fella to do??

p.s. I had the tranny bolted to a 305, it worked fine but I didn't pay any attention to how much space it had.
The rebuilt 350 (Five Star Engine) came with the new flex plate(part # FRA-11 Pioneer Inc). I'm putting it into a 57 Chevy 210.

I'm new to this forum stuff, so I need all the help I can get!!

Thanks in advance,

#6 ·
Are you asking about the space between the touque converter mounting flanges and the flexplate? If so, 5/16" is OK because you will be sliding the torque converter foward to mate to the flywheel when the trans is mated up to the engine. Do not put any washers between the torque converter and flywheel.

Vince

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.