Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700R4 Torque Converter Flexplate Question
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 05:37 PM

Last journal entry: 1965/66 Impala body lines.
Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 Torque Converter Flexplate Question

I think I may have a problem. I am installing a "86" 700R4 tranny behind a "70" SBC 350 with a two piece seal. The engine has been completely re-built with a new Scat crank and all. I also purchased a new flex plate and B&M 2600 stall torque converter for this installation. Everything seemed fine till I installed the new high torque starter that I got on eBay from Skip White. Once the starter was installed I noticed it was almost impossible to turn the engine with the harmonic balancer bolt in order to bring it up to TDC. Upon investigation I found that the "bendix" drive was engaged in the flex plate by just a few thousandths. I attributed this to the fact that the flex plate had not been bolted to the torque converter yet. So I went ahead and installed the flex plate bolts and found that this drew the plate back away from the bendix drive. However once all the bolts were in and torqued I noticed that as I manually turned the engine, the areas between the flex plate bolts still wanted to rub on the bendix. So what I am saying is that where the bolts are, the plate clears the bendix and in between it wants to just knick the end of the drive gear. So do I have an incompatible combination (700R4 torque Converter and "old" style crank) or is the flex plate supposed to be "warped" like that? Do I need to shim the starter motor back away from the plate? I'm confused!! Sorry if I confused you, it's kind of hard to explain.