Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700R4 Torque Converter Flexplate Question
View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterdl
I think I may have a problem. I am installing a "86" 700R4 tranny behind a "70" SBC 350 with a two piece seal. The engine has been completely re-built with a new Scat crank and all. I also purchased a new flex plate and B&M 2600 stall torque converter for this installation. Everything seemed fine till I installed the new high torque starter that I got on eBay from Skip White. Once the starter was installed I noticed it was almost impossible to turn the engine with the harmonic balancer bolt in order to bring it up to TDC. Upon investigation I found that the "bendix" drive was engaged in the flex plate by just a few thousandths. I attributed this to the fact that the flex plate had not been bolted to the torque converter yet. So I went ahead and installed the flex plate bolts and found that this drew the plate back away from the bendix drive. However once all the bolts were in and torqued I noticed that as I manually turned the engine, the areas between the flex plate bolts still wanted to rub on the bendix. So what I am saying is that where the bolts are, the plate clears the bendix and in between it wants to just knick the end of the drive gear. So do I have an incompatible combination (700R4 torque Converter and "old" style crank) or is the flex plate supposed to be "warped" like that? Do I need to shim the starter motor back away from the plate? I'm confused!! Sorry if I confused you, it's kind of hard to explain.

early crank shaft and the converter are fully compatible. 700 type of trans was released in early 1980's

Is the flex plate on backwards?

Was the end of the crank shaft clean where the converter alignment hub slides in?

Was there a manual trans bushing in the end of the crank shaft?