Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700R4 Torque Converter Flexplate Question
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 12:03 PM

Last journal entry: 1965/66 Impala body lines.
Wiki Edits: 0

Follow-up on 700R4 converter/flexplate problem

I read with interest all the replies to my question, and decided that shimming the converter back with washers was out of the question. This solution still wouldn't solve my starter engagement issue and in fact might make it worse. I jumped over to Summit and looked at all the starters and found that some starters have shims that would move the bendix further away from the flexplate, but I couldn't find any shims for my starter. As I looked around the site I ran across .030 Flywheel shims supplied by TCI that are intended to mount between the flange on the back of the crankshaft and the flywheel or flexplate. Now, I knew these were available since I remembered (after finding them) installing them when I worked as a mechanic. I ordered all that Summit had and then jumped over to Jegs and ordered 6 more. I just got done with the adjustments and using 5x.030 shims did the trick. That brought the flexplate back far enough to allow the torque converter bolts to install through the flexplate without any warpage and also gave me the desired bendix/flexplate clearance I needed. Thanks for all your replies. They were a big help.