700r4 torque convertor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2005, 04:24 PM
USAF F-16 ELECTRICIAN

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 torque convertor

someone told me that a th350 torque convertor will fit on a 700r4 and you dont need the lockup wiring harness to make the trans work right. this sounds a little shady so i was just curious if it is true.

thanks in advance

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2005, 04:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455c-10
someone told me that a th350 torque convertor will fit on a 700r4 and you dont need the lockup wiring harness to make the trans work right. this sounds a little shady so i was just curious if it is true.

thanks in advance
sounds like that someone" is on crack?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:54 PM
USAF F-16 ELECTRICIAN

well there are alot of people around here that think that they know everything and since i dont know i ask questions if it doesn't seem right.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
well there are alot of people around here that think that they know everything and since i dont know i ask questions if it doesn't seem right.
well then you are smarter than them!
Old 09-01-2005, 05:18 PM
USAF F-16 ELECTRICIAN

so then i do need to hook up the lock up wiring harness. the engine isnt done yet so no biggie. im stillnot sure how to hook up the tv cable. when i bought the truck it had a 305 connected to the 700r4 now it has a 350 connected to it. the wiring harnes never was hooked up and it doesnt have the hookups for it. how hard or important is it to hook up the wiring for the lock up?
Old 09-01-2005, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
so then i do need to hook up the lock up wiring harness. the engine isnt done yet so no biggie. im stillnot sure how to hook up the tv cable. when i bought the truck it had a 305 connected to the 700r4 now it has a 350 connected to it. the wiring harnes never was hooked up and it doesnt have the hookups for it. how hard or important is it to hook up the wiring for the lock up?
Unless there were serious mods made to internals of that 700? the tv cable needs to be hooked up and adjusted properly! i assume you are using a carb? if you are you need to get the right tv bracket! the quad and holley carbs use different styles! either one can be purchased from TCI automotive as well as the wiring kit for the lockup converter! B&M also has a wiring kit! they sell for around $65 and include everything you need!
Old 09-01-2005, 05:59 PM
USAF F-16 ELECTRICIAN

i appreciate your help. i am wondering how the hell i was able to drive it as long as i did. i always shifted it manually though so i dont know how much of a difference that makes. i could make the wiring harness myself if i had a diagram for it. save me 65 dollars i dont have.

thanks again for your help.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
i appreciate your help. i am wondering how the hell i was able to drive it as long as i did. i always shifted it manually though so i dont know how much of a difference that makes. i could make the wiring harness myself if i had a diagram for it. save me 65 dollars i dont have.

thanks again for your help.
yes you could make it yourself! but you will need a pressure switch to install in the 4th gear oil port and they are difficult to find alone but are included in the B&M kit
Old 09-01-2005, 06:08 PM
USAF F-16 ELECTRICIAN

well guess i will look into buying that. oh well. what about getting the harness from the trans donor car. i was told it was a 91 caprice. but im guessing the harness is integrated in with all of the other ones.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
well guess i will look into buying that. oh well. what about getting the harness from the trans donor car. i was told it was a 91 caprice. but im guessing the harness is integrated in with all of the other ones.

read this site twice: lockup ........ email questions to me

part number for the needed pressure switch is there too
Old 09-02-2005, 02:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
the harness out of the donor car will not do you any good if you are not using a computer(ecm)? the B&M wiring kit has everything you need! NOTE! the pressure switch in the B&M kit is different than the internal gm switch that is shown in the link crosley provided us as it is installed on the outside of the case in the 4th gear pressure port(has a double spade terminal). also if you can find a 1985 gm van at the local salvage yard with the T350c? this has almost and identical setup as the B&M kit! you can use the harness off this vehicle!
Old 09-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronb
the harness out of the donor car will not do you any good if you are not using a computer(ecm)? the B&M wiring kit has everything you need! NOTE! the pressure switch in the B&M kit is different than the internal gm switch that is shown in the link crosley provided us as it is installed on the outside of the case in the 4th gear pressure port(has a double spade terminal). also if you can find a 1985 gm van at the local salvage yard with the T350c? this has almost and identical setup as the B&M kit! you can use the harness off this vehicle!

Trying to use an external pressure switch......the only problem that may come up is the pressure ports were deleted in the 1989 700 tranny cases.... it was a running delete. I've had 1989 cases with full pressure ports drilled and plugged, I've had 1989 cases with the bosses there with NO holes, and I've seen 1989 cases with NO boss for the ports at all.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
Trying to use an external pressure switch......the only problem that may come up is the pressure ports were deleted in the 1989 700 tranny cases.... it was a running delete. I've had 1989 cases with full pressure ports drilled and plugged, I've had 1989 cases with the bosses there with NO holes, and I've seen 1989 cases with NO boss for the ports at all.
yup your right crosley! i have seen a few myself! the thing is thought will he be able to use the wiring schematic you provided and be able to manually unlock the lockup if needed for towing? the B&M kit includes a rocker switch for this option and you do not need to drop the pan to hook it up!
Old 09-06-2005, 01:28 PM
USAF F-16 ELECTRICIAN

i really appreciate all the help. i am going to be going to michigan for a month to visit my family so i will have my dad look for one. it is alot easier to find stuff like that in michigan then it is in utah. that and i know quite a few guys that own trans shops and performance shops, so they can hook me up.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.