Hot Rod Forum banner

700r4 TQ lockup goes Rapidly in and out

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  SSedan64 
#1 ·
41 Willys coupe, 350, 11;1, large comp cam, 2x4"s (Holly 465) on tunnel ram. 700r4 with TCI lockup kit, 3500 stall TQ, ford 9" 390 gears, 30" M/T drag radials.

The TQ will rapidly lock and unlock even between 70-80 on the interstate. Didn't have this problem with the old 1200 stall TQ. I know, 1200!? It was defective, suppose to have been 3000 stall. I've checked the TV cable a couple of times and it seems to be correct. I have it wired so I can turn it off by a rocker switch on the dash and through the gm brake light/cruse control switch. Checked wiring and it all seems to be ok.
I'm thinking internal 4th gear switch?

#2 ·
Did the TCI lockup kit come with a manifold Vacuum switch? If so it may need to be adjusted.
If the Brake Light switch is out of adjustment it can also cause this. Try holding the Brake pedal up while driving & see if it stops.
Bad TCC Solenoid or worn/leaking TCC Apply Valve in Pump are other problem areas.

#3 ·
The TCI switch tested at 6" of vacuum.
I've checked the brake light switch (working) have held it up as suggested, no difference.
" worn/leaking TCC Apply Valve in Pump " Where is this located and can it be checked, repaired, replaced by a competent transmission shop? Would the pump need to be replaced?

Drove it to Tulsa, Ok. yesterday to drag races, 120 miles one way. Lockup never occurred going up there. On the return trip it engaged and stayed engaged once at bout 75 Mph. Using the switch on the dash I could engage and disengage it at will just for that period of time, bout 10 minutes.

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.