700r4 tranny in 2nd gen 1980 camaro !HELP! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2004, 01:00 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 tranny in 2nd gen 1980 camaro !HELP!

my friend bought a 700r4 transmission for his street rod and it was too wide to fit and he didn't want to cut into his $2200 front chassis to make it fit. So he says to me, hey, I know you were wanting a 700r4 and I got a deal for you. So he proceeds to tell me that he will trade me his brand new 700r4 transmission for the used 130,000 mile th-350 in my 1980 camaro. Can't pass that deal up, lol.

So here's the question, what do I need, and what do I have to do to install the 700r4 into the 2nd generation camaro, besides the flexplate and different torque convertor.

Thanks,
Will

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2004, 05:44 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Should go right in, relocate the cross member, Drive shaft might fit depending on the tail shaft and housing used, if not you will need to have it cut. You will need a cable bracket on the trans. and a new shifter detente and indicator. A wiring harness to install the vacuum solenoid and the brake light switch.

I use a kit I get from OPG.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod
Old 07-08-2004, 09:28 AM

Last photo:

what is OPG and where can I get the kit?

Thanks,
Will
Old 07-08-2004, 11:00 AM

Last photo:

www.originalpartsgroup.com

Troy

26 T sedan street rod
Old 07-08-2004, 01:22 PM

Last journal entry: As of about 4/2004
Last photo:

The flex plate should be fine as is. It will have holes that line up with the converter on the 700R4. However, the 700R4 is a little more fussy with respect to the cable from the throttle (TV cable) than the TH350. The 700R4 TV cable is a pressure regulating cable and has to be installed exactly right, or the transmission will fail early. I just went through this with my '34 Ford when I put in a 700R4 to replace my TH350. I used a system from Bowtie Overdrives at http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/index.shtml

Click on the portion of the web site that discusses the TV system. You can get the system to fit any carburetor that you have.

There is some money involved in this swap for you. The torque converter has to be a lockup version for the 700R4, the TV system needs to be purchased, the driveshaft will need to be shortened, and you will need wiring, or a kit for the wiring for the lockup converter. Your shift linkage will not be right just like Troy-curt mentioned. This is because of the four postion forward speeds needed on the shifter. Maybe its time for an aftermarket shifter to match the 700R4 also.

You're getting a good deal to swap for the 700R4 straight up for a well used 350, but be sure you know the costs and work involved before you commit to the swap.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

yeah, i knew it was a costly swap, i had just not planned on having a tranny to do it with yet so I hadn't done any research up until now. I'm gonna get a b&m quicksilver shifter that is a direct fit for the 1980 camaro center console. where do i need to take the trans to get the tailshaft shortened, machine shop? and why does it have to be shortened. Thanks for the help.

Will
Old 07-08-2004, 10:07 PM

Last journal entry: As of about 4/2004
Last photo:

You won't need to get the tailshaft shortened, just the driveshaft. The 700R4 is about 2 1/4" longer than most TH350's but not all of them. Wait til you get the 700R4 sitting in the car, then install the driveshaft only at the transmission end. Measure from the seal on the transmission to the centerline of the U-joint on the rear pinion to get the overall measurement.

You can get a better guess by holding the back end of the driveshaft up against the pinion yoke, and measure the existing U-joint centerline versus the measurement to the U-joint centerline on the pinion yoke. Make sure the driveshaft is pulled out of the transmission about 3/4" from "bottoming" out on the tailshaft when you take this measurement. This gives you some room for the driveshaft to slide forward while the rear suspension is moving up while driving, without ruining the tailshaft or other stuff at the back of the transmission.

Not hard for this stuff, but you need to take the driveshaft to a reliable driveshaft shop or possibly a machine shop in your town or somewhere nearby. They will cut it on a lathe, and re-weld it straight if they are reliable. They should also re-balance it when they are done. I paid $89.00 for this in Phoenix, AZ. You should be cheaper there in NASCAR's birthplace.

The B&M shifter with the new tranny will certainly be fun to drive.

Good luck, you can do it. Keep asking questions to the board if you get hung up somewhere. Annnnddd, keep those grades up in high school and in Tech school once you get there. With good grades and the certification, you'll make a good living at something you enjoy.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

It's a pretty easy swap just take your time and think it out.
Like 283 said the TV cable is very touchy to get right, and the life of the tranny depends on it.

Research everything, and get all that you will need before you start. Good Luck

Troy

26 T sedan street rod
Old 11-01-2005, 06:56 PM
Run it if you build it !!

Last journal entry: Almost ready to go cruzn
Last photo:

Its a really easy swap, I have done the same with my 79 camaro, I LOVE IT.. would never go back to a 3 speed. I have the quicksilver shifter and it works great with the tranny, You just need to move the tranny crossmember back..front holes to the back and drill new back holes, Make sure you get the kick down cable hooked up before you even move the car, like everybody said it is very important that it is hooked up correctly. If I remember right everything else bolted right up. Then go tear up the streets with that low first gear, and cruz away on the highway.

Flaming79
Old 11-02-2005, 02:17 AM

Last photo:

actually never did end up with the 700 from my friend, but i did buy one from bowtie overdrives, and i'm just about to get the driveshaft shortened now, talk about project delays...
Old 11-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Run it if you build it !!

Last journal entry: Almost ready to go cruzn
Last photo:

You will be happy you got one,, I have 4.11s works great on the highway and in town, running a 315-35-17 on the rear think they are 25.5 inchs tall.if you run into any probs let me know, i will be happy to help you if a can.

flaming79

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.