700r4 tranny swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2003, 08:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 tranny swap

Does anyone know anything about the 88 firebirds with the 305 v8 and 700r4 tranny? i have an 88 camaro z28 350 tpi 700r4 tranny that i took out and i was wondering if the 700r4 out of the firebird would need any modifications to go in or would just mount right up to the flywheel and the bellhousing would be the same , also would i have to do anything to the tail, and would the crossmember still be the same? and since it came out of a 305 was it made the same and would it hold up behind a 350?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2003, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Everything should swap right up, just try and get one from an 87or later though before that they wernt as good.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:07 AM
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter

Last journal entry: Detailing Eng. Compartment
Last photo:

Yep everything should work. Measure the length as there are two different ones, get the right one and the drive shaft will work, the only thing you have to do is move the cross member back one hole, and add the wiring and switches. Good Luck.

Troy
Old 08-04-2003, 05:35 PM
67 Nova 400sbc.4L60

Firebird transmssion vs Camaro

The 700R4 from a 1988 Firebird or Camaro is the exact same if they were both 305 engines the 350 is a different model because of torque and horsepower. It may not upshift properly at wide open thottle because the 305 will not rev to the same peak rpm as the 350 .ex, the 350 shifts at 5,200 rpm the 305 possibly at 5,000 rpm . If you are happy leave it alone ,if you are not then change the valve body and governor back to the 305 version.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:38 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

700r4 conversion

actually its not quite that simple... firbirds/camaros have what looks like a really long ladder bar that attaches to the tailshaft housing on the 700r4's that came in these cars, and its a different housing than any other... and will not work on th350... not to mention, even if u went to a 9 in. tailshaft for the 350., the mounting of the bar wouldnt work, cause there is not a tail-housing made for the 350 for this conversaion that i know of.
now if ur looking to do a rear end mod, to eliminate that bar., a 9 inch tail 350 would work fine, just a little fabricating for the trans mount would be in order so u can leave the x-member in the factory location., the frame is allready threaded for the x-member for the spot where its at, so mount moving would be more sensible... personally, i think the 700 is a better trans, but everyone has a method to their madness. hehehe hope this helps.
p.s. if u really do want to do that and u get it going., dont forget to run a vacuum line, the 350 has a modulator and needs vacuum so it can shift, and the cable is different, its not a t.v. cable and doesnt work on same principle as the 700r4., so ud have to get a cable as well...
good luck on ur venture.

sorry, my bad, if the tail housings arent the same, just do a swap, and everything should work, just be carefull though, depending on years, the electrical plug-ins (routing) might be different. aux. valve bodies., and pressure switches could make it where u may have to do some wire swapping in the plug... easiest way to tell is pull pan on both trans side by side, and make sure all is the same., sorry about the garbage above, i missread what u were getting at

Last edited by tnsmith10; 08-05-2003 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:46 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I think it's Trans-Adapt that makes a torque arm bracket that will bolt up to the TH350 trans. They also sell a longer torque arm to compensate for the shorter TH350. Or you could continue the fabrication to the rear and go with a 4 link, effectively eliminating the torque arm all together.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:52 PM

I think he is trying to take a 700r4 from a 305 ci engine and install a 7600r4 from a 350 ci engine. not a 350 turbo tranny!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.