700R4 trans pan leak again and again and again - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2008, 07:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 trans pan leak again and again and again

I put a TCI deep cast aluminum pan on my 700R4 using a black transgo gasket that looks like the GM gasket. It leaked, I replaced the gasket, it leaked again. I replaced the gasket again this time gluing it to the pan with Permatex aviation sealer. It lasted two weeks without leaking. Replaced the gasket again same method and a small bead of Permatex Ultra copper between the gasket and the trans, of course cleaning the trans pan rail off with brake cleaner. Let it set for day and a half before putting fluid in it. Didn't leak till I went on a 90 mile round trip to a cruise in. I have never had a pan I couldn't seal till I met this one.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2008, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

Try a cork gasket and NEVER use silicone on a trans. when any of it breaks off and hangs a valve it won't shift. I have used weather strip adheasive for 20+ years without any issues and only glue the gasket to the pan torquing it down to 80-100 inch pounds.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriv
I put a TCI deep cast aluminum pan on my 700R4 using a black transgo gasket that looks like the GM gasket. It leaked, I replaced the gasket, it leaked again. I replaced the gasket again this time gluing it to the pan with Permatex aviation sealer. It lasted two weeks without leaking. Replaced the gasket again same method and a small bead of Permatex Ultra copper between the gasket and the trans, of course cleaning the trans pan rail off with brake cleaner. Let it set for day and a half before putting fluid in it. Didn't leak till I went on a 90 mile round trip to a cruise in. I have never had a pan I couldn't seal till I met this one.

Any ideas?
Is it in fact trans fluid you are seeing? Check other seals too, the trans pan is the lowest point to drip from.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Last photo:

Check the pan for warpage and flatness. It is probably a Chinese pan and is not true.

Vince
Old 09-17-2008, 11:08 PM

Last photo:

Some of the cast pans had a problem with leaks where the shift cable bracket bolts to the pan. For some reason fluid leaks through the bolt threads. This was on the Hughes cast pans which look just like the TCI pans. Use some Teflon plumbers paste or the gray RTV for aluminum on the threads & see if that cures it.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:38 PM

Last photo:

I hate to bring back a old post as old as this but hate to leave it unresolved too. Doesn't seem to help anyone then.

To make a long story short the pan, as many of you suspected, was not the leak. The problem goes all the way back to the guy that built it in the first place. The rubber seal that seals the TV cable into the trans case was bunched up on one side and whenever the fluid would expand from heat or just the sloshing around the fluid does in normal driving would leak right past it and appear to be the pan gasket leaking as it would follow the pan rail all around after parking.

Because it is so hard to see up that side of the trans we had to remove the exhaust and drop it down a bit to see anything. We then dropped the pan and removed the TV cable from the trans and that is when I found it.

Finally.

The guy that built it must have had his head up his, well you know.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I've seen many "pan leaks" that were not.. I have near given up telling folks to check all locations.

I went about 5 rounds with a friend a few years back over the phone and his "pan leak". It was the shift shaft seal on the t-350. He had changed the pan gasket , the pan , the gasket again

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.