700r4 trans question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 06:14 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 trans question

ok im going to attempt to do it im going to rebuild my 700r4 trans. is there any helpful hints that anyone can give me iv never rebuilt one before but i dont have the 600.00 to put out to have it rebuilt so any info will be helpful thanks tim

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 09:40 AM

700R4 trans question

Tim have you ever rebuilt a transmission before? Are you going to build this trans for performance use,or a stock rebuild?
Old 02-08-2007, 10:38 AM

this is going to be a stock rebuild for my suburban
Old 02-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Denoyer
ok im going to attempt to do it im going to rebuild my 700r4 trans. is there any helpful hints that anyone can give me iv never rebuilt one before but i dont have the 600.00 to put out to have it rebuilt so any info will be helpful thanks tim

um , $600.00 is real inexpensive for a over haul of a 700 / 4l60 tranny
Old 02-09-2007, 06:46 AM

700R4 trans question

Ok Tim, stock rebuild, fine. I am still curious about your skill level, relative to transmissions.

Because if you have 0 experience with transmissions, you may save money in the long run by paying someone to build this 700R4.

One more thing, you should be incredulous about paying only 600.00 to have it rebuilt.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:00 AM

thanks for the advice, my skill level is 0 on transmissions, however i have a uncle back home in mi. that is kinda walking me through this,i have done this one piece at a time, paid great attention to what i am doing and took lots of pics the price he gave me was just to rebuild the cluches and spacers nothing else not to pull the tran or put it back in he said the worst case is about 1300 and i dont have that kind of money rite now, i do have a backup plan i have found a 700r4 rebuilt for 350.00 but i just wanted to try this to see if i could do this, all the cluches and spacers are reinstalled and i am in the put back stage and when i get it all put back togather i will take it up to the shop and have it tested before i put it back in the truck thanks for your input tim
Old 02-09-2007, 10:12 AM

700R4 trans question

Tim ,if you can spring for it, a transgo jr shift kit would be a wise investment during your rebuild.

The redesigned TV valve in the kit virtually eliminates the tv valve concerns that are so common with this transmission. Cost should be $30.00 -$40.00 dollars.

To drive home the point about tv problems with this trans,take a look at some of the posts on this site, it will blow your mind!

If you do take the time to read them, I'm sure you'll install the kit. Good luck with your tranny Tim!
Old 02-17-2007, 05:30 AM
400SBC4Life

Last photo:

Check this out, Tim

Tim ,I was in your situation one year ago. I could not pay 800.00-1200.00 Dead Presidents to a shop for bench rebuild.
Let me add ,I had a shop rebuild my 700R4 In my truck (2005) and I received, "No Goodies". (No Corvette servo,No trans-go junior kit,no boost valves,No beast ,No updated 3/4)
Just slam, bam, thank-you sir and my tranny works but I have never liked the shift.
ATRA has a book(Cliff McCormick)
Driveline plus has a video
ATSG has a book and Update Manual
Tons of Internet bulletins
And I am still a Freshmen at the 700R4.

If your uncle rebuilds them and this board is here.
You are ahead of the game
Read every post on the 700 and read the replies.
There is plenty of pros here to help you out.
It is something that can be done at home, you have to make tools and/or be creative to get things to work.
Local builders will help you. Just go in with your need.
The 700R is different than the TH-350 Cousin.
More Valves for one.
If you think you can handle it,GO For It :thumb-up:
If you have an uncle that can assist you.
Either buy a calling card with plenty of minutes or
Box up you tranny vitals and ship them to him. Have him double check your Pump and Input Shaft/Drum and Etc.
Thoroughly Inspect planets-and trapped torrington bearings
Buy a Beast Shell for a suburban
Clearances,Clearances,Clearances,Clearances....... ..Clearances.
I must admit Transmission pros go through alot with Automatic Hydro Transmissions and they are well worth the money they get paid to rebuild this transmission correctly
I will say this.....
Some shops just want a payday.
Fix your problem and send you out.
Not fixing the cause of the problem, hoping to make it past the warranty period..
What did your tranny fail from ?????
Burned band???
3/4 Clutches
Fair wear and tear.
Get a big stacked plate transmission cooler ,clean and test (For Flow) the cooler you have now.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

There is a very good article about the 700-R4/4L60 transmission in this months HOTROD. Then decide your course of action.

I am sorry to say, it would be, very, no, extremely difficult for someone to talk you through it.

I would pay the money, and supply the new parts myself.

Just food for thought.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:13 PM

Last photo:

Funny this subject came up today. I just removed a 700R4 from a 86 Camaro to install another one sourced from Craigslist only to discover it had the wrong (short) output shaft. Another one wasn't readily available at the right price so I decided to remove the output shaft from the dead tranny and install it into the newly rebuilt tranny. Tore the old burnt up one down first to see just what kind of a job it was going to be. After the old output shaft was laying on the workbench, I decided to go for it.

Not saying this is the first tranny I've had completely dissasembled, but it was the first 700. Gotta look up a few important numbers, torque spec for the pump, and already read all about TV cable adjustment procedure from GM, and a bunch of recommendations on how it should really be done. That and a question about what the differences are going to be on the VB with the old one having a couple less pressure sensors than the new one.

If a person is mechanically inclined then with the assistance of this board and maybe a couple books, it's very doable.

D.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.