700R4 trans woes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2003, 03:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 trans woes

Ok, here's my deal, I running a 89 K1500 4x4 with a mildly cammed 5.7L. Initially the trans split the rear planetary ring, trashing up the case with stuff. Had it rebuilt, told the guy it was hitting 2nd a little harder then normal b4 it grenaded. He put some kind of restrictor in the pump to slow up the 1-2 shift. Drove me nuts, cause it would pause then shift. Anyway it lasted for 40k miles, then a thrust washer in the converter went, and I limped home. Took it to him again and he rebuilt the entire trans for the 2nd time...all new seals, disks, drum, converter, etc. Got it back and it would not go into lockup. He thought the thermal switch for the solenoid was bad and replaced it to no avail...blamed the issue on my chip tuning, which I hadn't touched any trans lockup points with anyway. Later, about 500miles later, the converter starts locking correctly. After about 2-3k miles the convertor will only lock if the drivetrain is under load. IE, coasting or flat lands it unlocks. Now about 10k miles later, if run for longer then 30min it won't lock at all...but cold it will until normal engine temp, it starts acting funny again. I'm wondering if the restricter plug he put in is killing the converters and does the last symptoms sound like just a bad converter?
Any insight?
Doug

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2003, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

700 trouble

I think that guy is pulling your leg ..... you can replace the two boost valves in the pump for better line pressure and firmer shifting, sound like you need a better transmission re-builder most people wouldn't go back for 2nds on a bad repair job you been back for more than that are you paying for all the work after the first time? on course opinions vary here

sounds like it did the famous slide, bump 2nd gear shift which can be easy to fix
far as lock up sounds like incorrect ecm ground trouble when tranny fluid hits 275 degrees thermally switch will close and 4th gear pressure switch will provide ground to lock up solenoid if that switch is working

Last edited by airworld2; 10-22-2003 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

Find another tranny builder, this one does not know what he is doing.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:58 AM

Hey thanks for the replies, yeah I ain't goin' back to him for sure. He did say that the restrictor was press fit into a line...not sure if it was the pump or not. Apparently the restricter has a narrow orafix to slow fluid from making the 1-2 shift. I'm wondering where this freakin' thing is and if I can't find it, it'll force me to purchase a total rebuilt replacement. I'll definitely check the grounding issue, though i think the trans is lossing pressure somewhere. When accelerating on a hwy ramp, it kinda' pulsates, like it's slips and catches, in quick session. Motor sounds like a donkey, you know eee, haw while this is goin' on.
Doug

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.