Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

700R4 transmission

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Crosley 
#1 ·
I have a 700R4 from an 84 S10 2wd that I need to put in my old 82 S10. Didn't realize it was not the 200C when I bought it. Both trucks have the 2.8 liter engines. No computers. I am concerned about the electrical hookup of the 84 to the 82 wiring system. Any suggestions? Any suggestion reference the shifters: 3 speed in the 82, 4speed OD with the 700R4. Any way to modify the exising set up that would just bypass the ability to select LO as an individually selected gear as I would still have Lo as the first gear ratio for startout in the 2,3,D selectors? Need answers ASAP, please. Must get 82 on the road. It's a high miler (266K) so don't want to put too much $ into the project. It is a parts runner and engine/tranny hauler. Thanks for any help U may offer.

#3 ·
Hi Joshp. Thanks for the reply. There is an electrical connection on my82 that I think was for a locking converter. Are you saying that this connector and or the connector that is on the 84 700R4 are not necessary to use? That all aspects of either the old 200 or the 700R4 would be used but the converter would not go into lockup? That is, the shift selections and the shift patterns would remain the same if the electrical connections were just disabled? Assuming the TV cable is correctly adjusted, of course. I guess I'm a little confused/unknowledgeable. Thanks very much. Bill

#4 ·
700 R4 transmission

I am installing a 700R4 into an 82 S10 that previously had a 200C. Both trannys were attached to a 2.8 liter engine. The 200 had a single wire in a 4prong fitting attached on the drivers side and the 700R4 has 2 wires. I believe these were to activate locking converters. Must I reattach the 2 wires to the 700R4 or can I run this tranny as a nonlocking type? Will that do any harm to the tranny? I understand the 2.8 is very doggy with a locking converter. Need some technical advice about whether to wire or not to wire the tranny. Would really appreciate some knowledgable advice. Thanks very much.

#5 ·
bwinnett,

I merged your new thread on the same vehicle with your original thread on the same problems.

Please do not start new threads on same subject and same vehicle. It confuses the members that are trying to help you

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.