700R4 transmission - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2002, 06:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question 700R4 transmission

I am building up a 35 ford sedan, using a 350 powered 1981 chevy caprice as a donor car. The trans has OD and I believe it would be a 700r4. If not, what year chevys had these. Also, I am hearing that the 700r4's made after 87 are better for rods. True or untrue?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2002, 10:06 AM

Cool

The trans could be either a 700 R4 or a 200 R4. Both transmissions are good for rods but the 700 can take alot more abuse. I belive the 700 has a sqare pan and that is how you can tell the dif. Roy told me all years of the 700 are good in rods.

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2002, 04:06 AM

700R4s will only fit a chevy block and 200Rs has a corporate bellhouse that will fit all GM V8s.700s have a wicked first gear(306)and a .7 overdrive 200s have a lighter first and a .63 overdrive I think both trannys are equal in strenth
Old 03-12-2002, 06:25 AM

Cool

Tom,

Actualy not all 200s have the universal bolt patern. I know this because my 88 Buick LeSabre wagon had a 200 that would only fit on the Olds Pont Buick Cad but not the Chevy. A friend of mine who is a trans man complains about the 200 all the time he says they often brake the reverse valve. My buick had 130,000 on it with the origonal trans and I never had any problems. And I was known to lay a patch every now and then.
Old 03-12-2002, 07:54 PM

I think around 87 they changed to a electronic speedometer pickup also,I would stay away from the very early models as they have added many reliably mods over the years.
Old 03-23-2002, 08:16 PM

I don't think the 81 chev had an overdrive tranny I'm thinking it was mid 82 when they arrived I just had an 81 in my shop and it had the TH250 a friend has an 81 elcamino 350 and TH350 I can't remember any 81 overdrives but I could be wrong the 82 corvette advertised an overdrive but 81 didn't
Old 08-29-2002, 09:12 PM

Last journal entry: Doors
Last photo:

STAY AWAY FROM PRE 87 700 R4's !!!!!!
They do not hold up as well as the 87 and newer one's. Ive herd this from many sources. I use to know a lot more about why the 86 and older 700 r 4's were bad but that was 8 months ago when i was looking for a tranny for my car. I went out and got a 200 r4 cause it would give better economy with a higher overdrive. It also has the same lenth drive shaft as the turbo 350 tranny that the previos owner blew. So my advice is to go with a 700 r4 from an 87 and newer, it is the perfect rod tranny
Old 08-29-2002, 11:15 PM

get the late 87 and up one out of a truck. They have revised hydraulics with a little auxilary valve body(thats what I call it), they have all roller bearings instead of thrust washers, and the truck ones and high performance ones have I believe 30 spline input shafts but they may be 31, I cant remember can just tell by looking. Also look at the front pump and get a trans with the front pump casting number that ends in 732, it has more vanes in the pump. There are other differences too but these are the big ones for decent reliability. Then just have it rebuilt with with a larger 9 clutch 3-4 clutches, shift kit, and a corvette servo and you should be good for around 350 HP or more if your car is unusually light. Of course the sky is the limit with more aftermarket parts.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

I'm in the process of doing an 89' 700R4 now for a 400+hp sbc. If the pump face (as you see it inside the bell housing) has a "732" cast in it, it is a 1987 or later, or the pump has been changed. The older pumps were 7 vane, the "732" were 10 vanes. A 13 vane (high volume) is available, but not recommended by most (blown seals). The front shaft when counted, should be a 30 spline if 87' or later. The older ones were 27. Another "quick" junkyard way of telling a later 700R4 was a single "hump type" casting mark on the passenger side of trans housing, or, the later model only had two cooler lines, and the older one had (I believe) 4 on the same side. Transtar makes a great performance rebuild kit, as well as a kevlar performance band for street/racing use. Also, Superior Trans. out of Florida, makes a great reman "tuff pump" for about $125.00. Most used pumps are tired. When you get the pump halves apart, if you can "catch" scoring with your fingernail, it's shot and needs replacing or resurfacing. Hope this helps. Bob
Old 09-17-2002, 04:02 AM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

I have burnt up two (2) pre 87 700r4 trannys. But what a time we had . 1 gear pulls hard. And i loved traveling 65 mph and turnin 1600 rpm`s
When the money is right i will again install a post 87 700r4 trannyin the 57 p.u.
Slider in Wa.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.