700r4 transmission problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 05:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 transmission problem

hello I have a 57 bel air with a new 700r4 but it will not shift in to reverse any help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 06:06 PM

Im assuming that forward gears are okay? When you say "new" do you mean rebuilt?

If you have just installed it, is your linkage adjusted properly? How's the fluid level and condition?
Old 04-28-2011, 06:07 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

theres a lot of things that can cause reverse not to work on a 700r4, but i need a bit more information on the trans that what your providing.
any recent service work done to the trans? how many miles are on the trans? id it full of fluid? was it working one day and not the next?
does the shifter just not move into reverse? does it have any of the forward gears? is there any noises present that were not there before?
you just say it will not shift into reverse, doesnt help us with enough info to provide you with an answer that is gonna have a chance to be very accurate at all. so, info guy, info, help us out here so we can try and help you figure out whats wrong with your car. ok?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:23 PM

700r4 trans

I have never ran the trans it has been rebuilt linkage adjusted by directions on the shifter B&M quick silver no noise New tork converter new fluid shifts into all foward gears

Thanks
fast 57
Old 04-28-2011, 10:16 PM

If I were in your shoes. To rule out the shifter/adjustment I would put the rear axle on jack stands, and see if there is reverse with no load. if you have reverse on jack stands, that means the manual valve is at least directing fluid to the correct places. If you have no movement then you have some internal issues or possible shifter adjustment. To rule out the shifter adjustment, repeat the same test but this time disconnect the shifter cable from the transmission and move the selector on the transmission by hand. If you have reverse than that isolates it down to the shifter adjustment.

Once you do that simple test we'll be able to determine whats next. i know your wondering why it would be possible to have reverse with no load on the wheels. In short, the pressure may not be great enough within the drum in the transmission, possible mainline pressure too low as well.

Last thing BE CAREFUL WHEN DOING THIS. MAKE SURE BOTH REAR WHEELS ARE OFF THE GROUND AND KEEP YOUR LIMBS CLEAR! Best to have another person manning the brakes just in case.

hopefully its just an adjustment.

toofast
Old 04-29-2011, 05:29 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast 57
I have never ran the trans it has been rebuilt linkage adjusted by directions on the shifter B&M quick silver no noise New tork converter new fluid shifts into all foward gears

Thanks
fast 57
ok, that helps. besides shifter adjustment, it could be in the low/reverse clutches, or the reverse input drum, as for what applies to make reverse work. best suggestion is to take the car to whoever built the trans, if you have a warranty, they need to stand behind their build.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:52 PM

700r4 reverse issue

I jacked up the 57 and the tires turned should i take the trans to a shop at this point or is there an adjustment without pulling the unit

thanks
fast 57
Old 04-30-2011, 07:25 PM

Did they turn with the shifter still in place? Ideally it would be best to bring it back to the builder. But keep in mind they will probably say that its due to the shifter. Thats why I would make sure that its not the shifter adjustment.

Just to make sure you should disconnect the linkage at the transmission and and put in in reverse. Have you buddy make sure he's on the brakes, lower the car down and see if it will go in reverse. Just be very careful when doing this. If you get no reverse you know that you still have an issue for sure within the transmission and at that point you know that there is something to bring it back for.

toofast

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.