700r4 Tv Cable - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 03:36 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 Tv Cable

I was reading that the TV cable on a 700R4 when properly set should be pulled out approx 3/8 at idle. I am making up my own mounting bracket for the stock type TV cable and adjustment housing. As it is now when I connect my tv cable to the carb it ends up being pulled out a little less than the 3/8 inch. Should I go with the 3/8 extension rule or just use a gage on the tranny pressure port to set this idle position adjustment? Also I am about to fire up my new 383 for the first time which will involve the usual 20-25 minute break in period for the cam. Do I need to concern myself with the state of the new tranny while the engine is revving at 2000RPM for this break-in? It will be in park of cource but can I damage the 700R4 if everything is not set up right on the TV during my engine break-in? I will be busy enough setting timing and checking for leaks and any issues with the motor, should I be concerned about burning up the tranny in park at high idle? Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2010, 05:36 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
I don't think it's absolutely necessary to have the TV set while
breaking the engine in, just do it before driving it.
Rich

http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php
Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Last photo:

The proper way to adjust the TV cable is with a pressure gage. At idle with the TV cable disengaged pull it out very slowly until you see the pressure increase that is the proper idle setting. There is more to it however than just that. The bracket geometry has to be right because the TV cable has an affect on shifting. If it were me I ould obtain the proper TV brackets for you particular carb.

Vince
Old 05-07-2010, 08:46 AM

Last photo:

Yes I have the TCI TV cable throttle plate attachment for my eddy carb so the rate of pull will be correct. I have made up a mounting bracket for the stock type TV cable using an old mounting plate from a 91 chevy truck which I have modified extensively, it has the correct cut out for the cable adjustment assembly which is about all that is left of it. I am just hoping that during the breakin period if the TV cable is not quite right that it won't damage anything, I assume that the adjustment is critical only for when the tranny is under load/operation but I need to be sure, I quess I can have the pressure gage hooked up when I light up the 383 for the first time.

There is a site I just found that explains the TV setup quite well from bowtie overdrives, there take on the idle position is this:

Answer: "We've never seen anything specifically published about this critical
relationship but years of working with this system has convinced us that the TV valve needs to be positioned right at the edge of the TV feed orifice when transmission and the linkage is at idle. This is our opinion, but logic and years of experience keep confirming this starting position to be ideal for most vehicles".

http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php
Old 05-08-2010, 12:54 AM

Last photo:

I don't think I would worry about TV pressure on a break in... I would be more worried, about the engine If anything, I would rather have less TV pressure. More lube that way.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

You would want a good basic setting on the TV cable of the 4l60 series of trans.. reason being if the fail safe check ball is there, the trans may be in fail safe during break in of the engine

In fail safe mode , the transmittin is at max line pressure. High pressures can develop high temps in the oil

I am glad to see this question asked. We receive a few converters returned a month where the converter hub is black from running with no oil in the trans during engine break in.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:48 AM

Last photo:

OK well we fired up the new 383 and all went well except for a improperly installed block heater (yes this is a canadian reality) after repair to this leak I ran in the motor and made sure that I had tranny fluid levels in check. So far so good. Installed a gage on the 700r4 test port and had about 75 psi with the cable at idle position and in tranny in park. The test drive revealed some issues with the trans, it is up shifting way too soon and down shifting too late,also on the down shift to 1st there is a clunk, I am concerned that I either bought a faulty trans or I have something set wrong on the TV. What causes the early up shifts? I found myself in 3 gear at 25 mph
Old 05-11-2010, 07:43 AM

Last photo:

What rear end ratio do you have? You may need to tinker with the governor if your ratio is much lower than the stock application.

If you adjust your TV cable as per BTO instructions, you will have correct pressures if all else is in order. But in my opinion, you need to read the pressures with a gage to be sure.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:32 AM

Last photo:

I have 3.73's in the rear, the truck the tranny was out of was a 3.42 so will this really make a difference? also I do have a 0-300psi gage hooked up I left it on so I can do some diagnostics, I will take some readings this morning and post them. Here is what I know about this rebuilt tranny:

Fresh rebuild with beast sun shell, vette servo, 1800 stall lockup converter. It was modified for use without any electrical hook up ( don't ask me how) so it has changes to the valve body which control the lockup etc. It has the stock type TV cable which I fabed a bracket for and installed a TCI geometry crank arm for the eddy carb. I followed setup procedures that I found on the web. The cable moves freely and is full out at WOT, the only thing that seems wrong is that when I go to WOT after setting the slider back against the adjustment housing it does not ratchet forward at WOT so the slider is always fully buried in the housing? I bought this tranny out of province, I don't know much more about the build I am going to contact the seller and quiz him about the issue...any further help here is as always appreciated thanks
Old 05-11-2010, 10:10 AM

Last photo:

It could be the bracket that holds the TV cable is to close to the throttle linkage.

You would be well served to go to the BTO web site and read all their information on the TV system.

Go here to start
Old 05-11-2010, 10:19 AM

Last photo:

Yes I have done some research and believe that I have the bracket right.

Even if I hold the cable adjustment housing with it removed from the bracket and slide the cable sheath back till it bottoms out then pull the cable it does not ratchet out towards the direction of my pull once the cable is fully extended?? I don't want to pull to hard but I am giving it a really good tug
Old 05-11-2010, 11:57 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi

The governor controls part and full throttle up-shifts. and tells the transmission when to shift up based on vehicle speed, Inside the governor is a valve that opens and closes to control the up-shifts, there are two sets of rotating weights in the governor, the heavier outer weights act at low vehicle speed, and the lighter inner weights take over at higher speeds, centrifugal force controls the opening and closing of the governor valve, the valve controls governor pressure delivery, which in turn controls the up-shift.
if you change the inner weights on the governor you can adjust the rate of this line pressure versus vehicle speed, and optimize full throttle shift points to your rear end gear ratio.
B&M has a governor recalibrating kit.
Rich
Old 05-11-2010, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

OK so that may be why Overdriv asked about diff gear ratio then? if the trannys govenor was originally set up for a 3.42 and then its is now seeing my 3.73 that would fool the tranny into thinking the vehicle is moving faster than it actually is an it would up shift too soon yes/no? am I getting this?
Old 05-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Last photo:

The easiest thing to do is replace the governor with one for a Corvette, as it will move the 1-2 shift under WOT to about 4000 rpm. IF you want to go higher in rpm then get one of the many governor spring and weight kits and fine tune it.

Vince
Old 05-13-2010, 10:00 AM

Last photo:

OK so I bought the B&M kit and went with #2 and #3 weights and the blue and green springs to start, had to get a new govenor cover as mine was banged up a bit, $5 bucks at the tranny shop took care of that. This was a very simple procedure, hardest part was getting the cover back on. Seemed to improve (raise) my light throttle up shift points at bit. On the freeway it took longer (higher rpm) for the OD to kick in as well. I have not been able to nail this new mill as it only has about 75 miles on it and I don't want to go WOT yet as I am looking to shift at about 4500 so I will wait and see what the true WOT RPM shift points end up at with this combo.

What is the function of the springs as compared to the weights? will one effect the other or do they perform separate functions? I mean one effecting upshift points and the other down shift? Does the govenor also effect the point at which the converter locks up? mine seems to lock up in town, I am driving around in 3rd so my shifts are 1,2,3 then I can feel another slight change which seems to be lockup cant be sure though

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.