Hot Rod Forum banner

700r4 tv cable problem?

6K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  carsavvycook 
#1 ·
ok! i got a new tv cable for my 700r4 pull it back toward the firewall...step on the pedal or even push it to WOT by hand...NO ratcheting out NONE...thought mabye it was the new cable so i tried one off another 700 and no it does not ratchet out...this is the first prob. as i still have a late shift prob.(only 1-2 234 shift fine) so if i adjust it by hand,i think it is supposed to shift sooner when it is the cable is tighter?this does not happen it shifts later or even not at all.i think it is supposed to shift later when the cable is ratched all the way out.this does not happen as this is as best i can get it to shift.i have another tranny i would love to throw in it if this one is burnt out,but i would hate to if theres anything i can do?first thing is first anyone know why the cable does not ratchet out?ever heard of this?is it something to do with the tv valve body or spring?
please help me!
p.s. its an 85 chevy pick up if i thought it was easier to just change the drive shaft and put my th350 in it i would!
i know light travels faster than sound and i'm truly sorry for how slow i type as i must sound like a *******!

#5 ·
ok first of all thanks for the reply this is what i'm talking about:Release the tab and rotate the throttle lever to WOT and the cable will self adjust itself as evidenced by a few audible clicks.thats when theres no audible clicks it stays in that position,but still moves smoothly(just very tight).any ideas on what i do next?
thank you
kenny

#6 ·
let me explain better.the ratcheting on the adjustment IS what i was referring to your supposed to adjust it all the way back and step on the gas(or and then push it to WOT by hand) thats when it is supposed to ratchet out into the correct position.problem is it doesn't ratchet out.
does anyone know what this means?
i have looked every where for an explanation and have found no other problem like this
can anyone help me
thanks for the replies

#8 ·
thanks for the reply
if the lever wasn't attached how would the cable pull back?it would have no pull to it.But i will pull off the pan tomorrow and check for bends and a stuck valve?....i guess.after that i can't see putting the other 700r4 in if it is a prob. with the TV cable right?if i can't find an answer soon i'll have to throw the other one in and cross my fingers
please help!
tomorrow i will post pics of my 350 in my truck(nothing fancy)
just a chevy man thats all

#9 ·
the cable is 42" anyone think i need a smaller cable since i got a holley carb with a holley adapter and a holley tv cable bracket?but the bracket and adapter is for the cable?im so confused!i could just have a bomb fire this weekend with my 2 700r4's.anyway
thanks for any replies that try to help me
kenny

#11 ·
carsavvycook said:
You may just have to make a bracket to extend the length of the cable pull. In other words unbolt the TV cable bracket and reposition it farther back towards the firewall on the intake manifold. Then try readjusting it to see if it "ratchet's out".

the problem is with that is the bracket the cable is on i ordered from holley and that is the correct bracket for that carb and that cable.i even got the adapter corrector for where the cable end goes on the carb.
i'm gonna have to put the other 700 i got in now and hope it shifts!
i guess i've stumped everyone?

#13 ·
carsavvycook said:
i guess i've stumped everyone?
I am not stumped. You asked for advice on the adjustment, and received advice from experience. Take it and try it, or leave it. That is your choice.

Stephen[/QUOTE]

please don't get me wrong sir i AM very appreciative for any help.
i just wasn't sure u got what i was saying cause i was wondering why the adjustment was not ratcheting out even though the cable is very tight?
i don't know if it could be a problem with the unit (like the tv valve spring)that would cause this problem.If that is even possible (as i have no idea)
but sincerely thanks for any help.
but please don't get sassy with me i once took a karate course and made it to a white belt!(joke)

#15 ·
I do not follow the need for a ratchet out of the cable.

You need full pull of the TV cable at WOT. that may not rquire the cable adjustment ratchet out with your combo of parts.

Geometry on the carb is important... sounds like you are addressing that .

IF the cable end is too long .. shorten it up with something. Some folks use a lead fishing weight on to the end of cable.

Buy a cable clamp with screw like used on bicycle cables (as an example) .. cut the end off the cable and start new with the setup.

As mentioned forcing the the TV cable to ratchet out , can bend the TV cable link at the trans.. be careful.

:cool:

#16 ·
Thanks crosley,
Ok here it is,i have the cable hooked up carb adapter,bracket and all.Now when i adjust the cable all the way to the back(toward the firewall)it shifts way too late or not at all the engine races out some before it shifts,the farther back it is the more it races out.Now if i adjust the cable all the way forward (ratcheted out all the way)i know it's probably not recommended...but when i do this it is the closest i get to it shifting without racing out.I know this is a problem though cause I know the TV cable is not at the correct WOT position.
It is raining today i will be doing Something to it tomorrow :( I guess i just want an opinion of the experts if this is a unit prob. or an adjustment prob?
i'm sorry it took me so long to get to the real prob.
please again ANY thoughts on this prob. are GREATLY appreciated
kenny
P.S. how can give back to this forum for helping me so much?anything i can do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.