Hot Rod Forum banner

700r4 TV Cable Problem

11K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Sagacious 
#1 ·
I just finished installing a new 700r4 transmission after my last 700r4 blew up. The tranny is in an older corvette. The TV cable is giving a bit of a problem. I'm using the same cable that was on the car, which is an aftermarket kit.

The "throw" of the TV cable appears to be different on this new transmission. I have a pressure guage hooked up to the trans and I'd like to set the initial pressure between 90 and 110 psi. This is the typical range. I have to extend the TV cable pretty far out to get this reading. So far out it prohibits full throttle.

That is not ideal.

I can't get this at the right pressure & full throttle at the same time. The only thing (I think) that will effect the length of the cable extension is the mechanics by the plunger under the pan. When I had the new & old 700r4 side by side, I noticed the plunger lever and spring looked a bit different. I didn't think about it at the time, but could that be causing my problem? Is it a pressure problem w/ this trans?

This same TV cable worked fine on my old 700r4.

Am I missing anything?

--Jack

See less See more
#5 ·
I think I have it figured out...

I need a TV Cable Corrector for carbs which is a little spring at hte end of the cable to allow full throttle.

I tranny is from Mad Dog tranmissions in FL. It is a really strong unit, buit to handle 500+ hp. It

#8 ·
bowietieoverdrives makes a longer spring to allow the right pressures with aftermarket TV cable setups. you can adjust the tv cable initially to put out the right pressure but once you go WOT it will ratchet out and be out of adjustment again. the new (longer) plunger spring is crucial.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.