Hot Rod Forum banner

700R4 TV Geometry

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  dwwl 
#1 ·
I overlay 3 pictures together.
First - throttle at idle
Second - throttle at WOT (with gas pedal pressed)
Third - a 78 deg diagram

Results are far from ideal.
maybe this is why none of my transmissions made it past 6 month.

Can anyone take a picture of edelbrock with tv cable the right way?
I don't really see what can I do to fix this geometry, the lever isn't rotating enough.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm not sure what the bolt on part is about?

The pressures should be set using a gauge so you can see what is really going on. You really need the book from Automatic Transmission Service Group (ATSG) or a factory manual to get the pressures used by the various production transmissions not all 700R4s use the same pressure curve. If you've put in aftermarket modifications then use their recommended pressures.
https://www.atsg.us/atsg/

The TV is a complicated adjustment of both the cable jacket and the cable itself. Once the jacket is adjusted then the cable is adjusted.

700R4 Throttle Valve Cable Adjustment

Art Carr's 700r4 tv cable adjustment guide from CPTtransmission.com

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/700r4 cable adjustment instructions.pdf

A good guideline when having nothing else to go on is to adjust the cable at full throttle opening to be as tight as a guitar string. This will make for high RPM shifts which for on the street is a real PIA but the trans will not go up in smoke.

Another thing is cooling, the trans oil gets really hot never less than engine coolant because that's where the heat exchanger is located. But the trans output oil to the cooler typically is running 10 to 20 degrees F hotter than the engine coolant this is really iffy for dino based oil. Synthetics are really more suited to automatic transmission temps. Trans oil can go from these temps to fried in less than a New York minute when the air temp is hot and the working load goes up or you're stuck is stop and go traffic. I'd suggest an oil cooler with a fan to help keep the trans oil around 200 degrees max.

Bogie

#6 ·
I have that same corrector for that edelbrock on my set up. Mine is the 2004r, but the principal the same. It doesn't look like its not on just right.. Your picture isn't to clear. Is your other brackets solid and none bending and does it keep the cable level? If you are not sure, then you check with the pressure gauge. I use the pressure gauge twice a year to be sure its not changing. There is a lot of info on the net. I also recommend that you use the larger pressure valves in the pump. Tranny cooling is also important.

#7 ·
I went threw all my paperwork and found my B&M tv cable bracket Part number 64512 Its a universal bracket you mount under your carb. It comes with two gaskets-one on the intake and one under the carb with the bracket sandwiched in between. It holds the throttle and tv bracket in the right position and will not bend. That way you can use any type of intake, high rise or stock, and keep everything level. I'm sure it would even work with a duel quad set up. If your bracket is bending and twisting, you are going to have a lot of give in the geometry of that cable.

#9 ·
There are several 700 and 200 web cites that show the correct radius and how it affects the TV cable. Look at the one in here about 700-4r pressure posted a few days ago. It has a three part series on how the pressure valve functions by the pull of the TV cable. If you get into it, copy it for further reference. It is a very good article. VERY GOOD ARTICLE Most performance builders of these transmissions go threw great pains to get it right. They prefer that they build the tranny and install it and set it up, so it doesn't fail. It is listed under the TV made EZ.It will show you part one two three. the part I like is part three, listed as illness. One other article I have from years ago shows that the perfect distance between the tv plunger and the tv bushing is .840 of an inch. This means if your cable is set up correctly, that tv plunger only has to move .840 of an inch from idle to full throttle. Remember, if your brackets are week, and are not solid this will affect it. If you are close to thls, then your next major concern is that you have instant pressure rise at first throttle movement. This is why you need the pressure gauge hooked up to test it. I know it sound good to fine tune your shift points by adjusting the tv cable. But this affects like pressure when you need it most.

#11 ·
I found that article I like; Its under (pdf) extreme automatic 2004r It shows the tv valve in great detail also. This is why I first set the tv cable and then check it in the tranny before I put the pan on. You still have to use the pressure gauge to verify everything. If you can copy it, make it for your file.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.