Hot Rod Forum banner

700r4 TV Pressures

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  postal jeepster 
#1 ·
Well First is a thank you for everyone on this board for the info that I used putting this project together. Thanks!

I got the 700 put together and used the Trans Go 700r4 Jr corrector kit and installed in my 48 Dodge PU. Installed the Edelbrock linkage corrector on the carb and Fabbed the brackets for the cable, so that it would allow the cable to be adjusted fully, all of the factory brackets would not do this with the intake that I am using. The truck drives well and shifts ok but before I put too many miles on it I would double check the tranny pressures and note them compared to the specs listed in the ATSG book that I have, some VERY big differences.

Gear , Pressure @ idle TV connected , idle TV discon , High idle full TV

P , 95 , 75 , 125
R , 75 , 110 , 75
N , 95 , 75 , 125
OD , 50 , 75 , 55
3 , 40 , 60 , 50
2 , 40 , 60 , 50
1 , 35 , 52 , 50

Driving down the road the pressure guage shows about 155 psi with about 1/4 throttle. Reverse is about 200 psi low. I'm thinking the reverse boost valve is not operating properly, any other ideas? What to look for? Thanks for any thoughts on this, Aaron McBride

PS, Pulled the pan down to check cable travel and the TV valve bottems out at full throttle and is still pushed down slightly at idle.

See less See more
#2 ·
postal jeepster said:
Well First is a thank you for everyone on this board for the info that I used putting this project together. Thanks!

I got the 700 put together and used the Trans Go 700r4 Jr corrector kit and installed in my 48 Dodge PU. Installed the Edelbrock linkage corrector on the carb and Fabbed the brackets for the cable, so that it would allow the cable to be adjusted fully, all of the factory brackets would not do this with the intake that I am using. The truck drives well and shifts ok but before I put too many miles on it I would double check the tranny pressures and note them compared to the specs listed in the ATSG book that I have, some VERY big differences.

Gear , Pressure @ idle TV connected , idle TV discon , High idle full TV

P , 95 , 75 , 125
R , 75 , 110 , 75
N , 95 , 75 , 125
OD , 50 , 75 , 55
3 , 40 , 60 , 50
2 , 40 , 60 , 50
1 , 35 , 52 , 50

Driving down the road the pressure guage shows about 155 psi with about 1/4 throttle. Reverse is about 200 psi low. I'm thinking the reverse boost valve is not operating properly, any other ideas? What to look for? Thanks for any thoughts on this, Aaron McBride

PS, Pulled the pan down to check cable travel and the TV valve bottems out at full throttle and is still pushed down slightly at idle.

low/reverse boost valve installed backwards in the pump.

#4 ·
Today I pulled the pan and removed the low reverse boost valve assy's, both are installed correctly. Now what? One symptom that I did not mention was that the 1-2 shift happens very fast, 3-5 mph then it shifts normally after that. Aaron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.