700r4 Vacuum Switch Cycling - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 01:42 PM
68 Camaro Convertible, 327 RS

Wiki Edits: 0

Larger capcitor. I think 880 uf is a standard avialble size, should give roughly 8 Seconds.
But the time constant will be a combination of the resistance of the relay coil (which you can't really change) and the capcitor.
If you use a different brand of relay you may get a different resistance ..but it should not be a huge difference.

You can also increase the capacitor value by putting capcitors in parallel.
Of course, you must keep in mind that capactors of these value are polarized. ..i,e there is a positive and a negative side..and you MUST put them in the correct polarity.

My circuit has now been working flawlessly for over a year.

Good luck!!

Vic

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cadmanof50s For This Useful Post:
kikkegek (07-08-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 01:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmanof50s View Post
Larger capcitor. I think 880 uf is a standard avialble size, should give roughly 8 Seconds.
But the time constant will be a combination of the resistance of the relay coil (which you can't really change) and the capcitor.
If you use a different brand of relay you may get a different resistance ..but it should not be a huge difference.

You can also increase the capacitor value by putting capcitors in parallel.
Of course, you must keep in mind that capactors of these value are polarized. ..i,e there is a positive and a negative side..and you MUST put them in the correct polarity.

My circuit has now been working flawlessly for over a year.

Good luck!!

Vic
thanks man! to complete your document, you might want to add a shopping list. I found that there are a lot of versions available of the several components...I am familiar to soldering, but have no clue about the parts or how to select them...could you do that?

I'd like a 10 second delay...any thoughts on capacitor size?
Old 07-08-2012, 02:08 PM
68 Camaro Convertible, 327 RS

Sure I can do that.

Also, I have made some significant improvements in the circuit. BTW.

One of the things I noticed with this circuit is that the TCC will pretty much lock up as soon as you go ino 4th gear. And that's okay ..no problem...but it does create a sudden drop in rpm ..and I didn't like that.

My goal was to actuall wait 8 seconds after the transmission goes into 4th before TCC lock up...not just to prevent it from hunting. So I have modified the original cirucuit but..it requires soem minor chanes inside the transmission oil pan and it is more complex...but it work exactly the way I want it.

Use the original circuit as is, but if you find that you don't like the idea of it going into TCC lock at the same time as going into 4th, I will send you a new version of the circuit..but no doubt it is more complex.

I'll put a parts list together for the original.

BTW, a 1000 uf cap will probably give you closer to 8 or 10 seconds. But now the physical size of the cap are going to start getting big.

Unfortunately the resistor in the circuit has no significance contribution to the delay time constant. It's only there to prevent too much current going through the Transistor ad supply voltage to teh capacitor.

I will email you the more sophisticated circuit if you wish. Send me a private message.

Cheers!

Vic
The Following User Says Thank You to cadmanof50s For This Useful Post:
kikkegek (07-08-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 AM

Last photo:

FYI, here is a link to the adjustable time delay switch I purchased for $40 from Baker Electronix. It is probably cheaper to build one, but this is contained in a very small black box with a small control knob to adjust the length of the delay. You can specify the range of available delay when ordering.

Baker Electronix - Time Delay Modules

Can you put the time delay switch/circuit between the 4th gear switch and the TC solenoid so that the lockup doesn't occur immediately?

John
Old 08-20-2014, 01:59 PM

Last photo:

Yes I know this is an old post but some doing searches may benefit. There is a company selling a solid state electronic delay perfect for this application.
For about $50.00 you can buy just the 0-10 second adjustable delay & wire it yourself. It's from Waytek, Inc. Model #VCM-14 10SA. (VCM is short for Vehicle Control Module). OR you can buy it ready to install from Summit/Jegs for about $115.00. That is Performance Automatic part #PA11400.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by acr View Post
Yes I know this is an old post but some doing searches may benefit. There is a company selling a solid state electronic delay perfect for this application.
For about $50.00 you can buy just the 0-10 second adjustable delay & wire it yourself. It's from Waytek, Inc. Model #VCM-14 10SA. (VCM is short for Vehicle Control Module). OR you can buy it ready to install from Summit/Jegs for about $115.00. That is Performance Automatic part #PA11400.
thanks for sharing.

I cant find any info on the Waytek relay. Are you sure the model is VCM-14 10SA? could you maybe post a link to the info?

I redesigned my delays circuit to use a 555 timer IC. I found that the 10 second delay was to short for me in several situations driving my Suburban here in the Netherlands.

I hooked up the relay to the VCC output.

here is the link to the info I used:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/ne555timer1calc.html

if you are willing to do some soldering, then this circuit is like the previous circuit supercheap.

Tags
700r4

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.