Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 700R4 with Vortec Computer Controlled Engine
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 10:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I ran a complete Howell EFI setup years ago.... it was a ZZ4 engine that I used different automatic trannys behind.

The Vortec motor can be done without the electronic tranny , you need the correct information.

I ran a 1990 TBI engine with an OE computer and a T-350 tranny. I put the manual tranny chip in the computer

I am sure others will speak up here...

I will look up my notes and talk to a kid at work that setup a turbo'd EFI deal on a slant 6 with a Mega Squirt controller

You have posted this in the engine section? It should be posted there too

Quote:
Originally Posted by capps
I have installed a 1997 Vortec into a 1986 Suburban with a 700R4 transmission. After giving up on determining what wires I need to hook up on the factory engine harness, I began to look at Painless Wiring, Howell EFI and other replacement stand alone harnesses. The feedback I have received is misleading. Since many of these trucks came with manual transmissions, I assumed that the 700R4 would work if I used a lock up kit for the converter. Painless tells me that there harness it will only work with an electronic transmission. I heard from several supposed techs to drop the 700R4 and get something else. Will this work? Do I need to get a variable speed sensor, or will the engine run without it? Will I need to reprogram the engine computer if I use the 700R4 which is not an electronic transmission? Do I need to give up and use a 4L60E or 4L80E?

Last edited by Crosley; 07-27-2005 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Words.....