Hot Rod Forum banner

700R4 vs. TH 350?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  troy-curt 
#1 ·
I'm sure this question has been asked before, probably a hundred times... I'm building a street rod for daily driving(when the sun is shining anyway) and will NOT be racing it. I'll have about 450-500 HP under the hood and a rear with 3.55 gearing. What do you folks think about a 700R4 with overdirve vs. a 3 speed TH350? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Mike

#3 ·
:D

Most people say that the 700R4 does not stand up to 450-500 HorsePower with any kind of a regular transmission build.

I have one to put behind a 435 (dyno) HP SBC but have not yet done so (light car too).

I would choose a Turbo 400 over a Turbo 350 anyday. They are vastly stronger.

:D

#5 ·
Go with the 700, I`ve used one in my 3/4 burbon 410 rear. Behind a 502 by Edelbrock with lots of goodies,(5,800lb) towing a 29ft car trailer w/a camaro, motorcycle,2 displays,and selfcontained liveing quarters (12500lb) towed 300,000 plus mi. It was freshioned up two times by my sponser, and still running.

The later model is better i`m told (85 up) There is lots of heavy duty mods. and parts that help.
I`ve installed several stock ones in street rods with no problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.