700R4 will not shift into 3rd and 4th gear - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 01:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

700R4 will not shift into 3rd and 4th gear

I have installed a 700R4 in my model A and it worked fine for the first 150 miles. After that 3rd and fourth gear stopped working. It shifts fine 1st and 2nd and then it shifts to third but open revs as if nothing is there. The trans was out of a donor car (93 buick Roadmaster) and sat on my driveway for about 6 months.
One of the web sites said to jack the rear up and drive it up to about 100 mph to loosen stuck valves. I tried that but it will only go to 90 in 2nd gear. Any other suggestions?

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

First thing that comes to mind on the 3-4 problem is the governor. Pull off the side cover on the trans (very easy to do) and pull the gov out and check the gear. Its plastic and tends to break or strip off. If its ok, make sure the valve inside the gov moves freely too.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:49 PM

Last photo:

700 trouble

wrong , engine racing up or seems to hit neutral when you should have 2-3 shift means 3-4 clutch pack is burnt out, trans is bad again
Old 04-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by airworld2
wrong , engine racing up or seems to hit neutral when you should have 2-3 shift means 3-4 clutch pack is burnt out, trans is bad again

I am going with airworld2 on this one

Old 04-19-2006, 06:57 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebopwally
I have installed a 700R4 in my model A and it worked fine for the first 150 miles. After that 3rd and fourth gear stopped working. It shifts fine 1st and 2nd and then it shifts to third but open revs as if nothing is there. The trans was out of a donor car (93 buick Roadmaster) and sat on my driveway for about 6 months.
One of the web sites said to jack the rear up and drive it up to about 100 mph to loosen stuck valves. I tried that but it will only go to 90 in 2nd gear. Any other suggestions?
what r u using for t.c.c. apply? did u set t.v. pressure correctly? did u flush the cooler lines b4 installing this trans? and did u pull the pan and inspect inside and if clean service it b4 installation?
more info please. without knowing any of this, it would be hard to say what the probable cause of failure might have been...
one last thing, u say the donor car is a 93 roadmaster? thats pretty wild for it to have a 700R4, because for the most part, chevy 4L60's had pretty much gone electronic by then...
anyways, what im getting at, is if there was nothing wrong with the unit b4 installation, and u dont find what caused the problem, the next trans could wind up doing the same thing..
Old 04-19-2006, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

I will add a little more detail for those that answered my question. (thanks) I put the trans in and replaced the filter and fluid. I checked the level and drove it a few miles. It sat for about three days and I went for a longer drive( 175 miles) the transmission worked flawlessly, shifted every time , lockup worked as it should with only a slight "lack of power" noticed on hills. The next day I went to drive it again. I backed it out of the driveway and put it into drive to take off. I knew then that something was wrong because it took about .75 seconds for drive to engage. I drove about 5 miles before i lost 3rd gear. When I checked the fluid it was low 2.5 quarts. That was the last time 3rd or 4th gear worked. I got back home dropped the pan a nd checked the fluid. I describe it as "Impala black with red metal flake". Not the color i would expect from a good transmission. The smell is still sweet so I hope that no overheating occured. Any recomendations on kit suppliers?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley and Airworld
wrong , engine racing up or seems to hit neutral when you should have 2-3 shift means 3-4 clutch pack is burnt out, trans is bad again.

I am going with airworld2 on this one

Ok, Ok, just trying to help. LOL I grabbed my 700 book here and for the 2 symptoms, each came up the the governor as the #1 thing to check first, but then again, i'm NOT going to argue with 2 of the 3 pro's on here either! LOL From now on, i'll keep my mouth shut and my replies to a minimum. I have le'rnt my lesson!

Mark
Old 04-19-2006, 09:09 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmark
Ok, Ok, just trying to help. LOL I grabbed my 700 book here and for the 2 symptoms, each came up the the governor as the #1 thing to check first, but then again, i'm NOT going to argue with 2 of the 3 pro's on here either! LOL From now on, i'll keep my mouth shut and my replies to a minimum. I have le'rnt my lesson!

Mark
I like books.

there is a difference between no up shift to 3rd & the engine suddenly reving up where the 2-3 shift should be.

you tack that onto the fact that the 700/4L60 trannys have had a 3-4 clutch problem since day one.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:54 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I'm DEFINITELY following this thread, as my 700R4 in the Suburban did this exact same thing.

I passed another vehicle on the way home from work, and after letting back off the throttle I had no more upshift into third OR fourth gears.

I had recently installed a TBI spacer and an injector spacer as well as rebuilding the TBI itsself, it had much better throttle response and felt like more power, BUT:

After installing the TBI spacer I had the throttle cable hang up slightly and not want to return down to the previous idle speed. Something I could temporarily live with.
Also after installing the spacer the TV cable was not in the same plane as before and most likely had changed to alter the proper operation of the cable, I had MUCH firmer upshifts and the upshifts seemed delayed as compared to before.

I KNOW I damaged the transmission, but is this worth sitting around for me to learn something new later on, or should haul the transmission down to the local transmission rebuild guy and sell it to him for core price like I have done in the past.

I have little to NO need for this particular transmission in the Suburban anymore as I am in the process of swapping in a Muncie SM-465 4-speed heavy duty transmission, and will later on swap this one for a 4WD model after replacing the front suspension crossmember out for a 4X4 piece.

This thing has been out of commission for two months now, so I am not in any hurry.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:53 AM

Last photo:

I know 700s are weak and My truck trans let me down before. The good thing is that they are easy to rebuild. When I rebuilt the trans in my truck I switched planetaries,added the 9 clutch 3-4 pack and added a billet servo with high strenght springs all around. (cost was around $400 for everything). It is great to drive ,will spin 2nd gear and chirps 3rd. This time the trans is for my 30 sedan and I wont go so crazy.
I know the reason the trans in the car went bad is low oil level. I just cant figure out what happened to the oil, I checked it 3 times before it died.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M CUSTOM

I KNOW I damaged the transmission, but is this worth sitting around for me to learn something new later on, or should haul the transmission down to the local transmission rebuild guy and sell it to him for core price like I have done in the past.
only you can make that decision.

Old 04-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Yeah ... my son in law hasn't had much luck with 700R4's either. We were contemplating installing it using velcro.

Coincedentally, his truck did have one of those Helix TBI spaces on it as well. I never thought of the effect of changing the plane of the cable ... good point.

The OD tip that I had passed on to me is to drive them in the "3" position around town / freeway instead of the "D" ... which of course eliminates the 3-4 shift.

It only goes in "D" after the cruise control is set, and only on level highways. NEVER let the trans shift into 4th gear under hard accelleration ...

If you have a tach ... watch it. If you see/feel the transmission "hunting" for the right gear, it's a good time to just drop it back to the "3" position and leave it there. Any time the transmission shifts, there is bound to be slippage and heat being generated. ATF degenerates VERY quickly when the temperatures get excessive, so a trans temp guage would be another wise investment.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:16 PM

Last photo:

answers

update on this problem. thanks to all who answered. I pulled the unit out tonight and found two things.: The 3-4 clutches are spent ( I figured out that much without even pulling the pan) and the reason they went is due to low oil level from a rust pinhole in one of the transmission cooler lines.
Lesson to be learned: if you use stuff form the junk yard make sure all of the gaskets , seals and lines are replaced before you put it in the car.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebopwally
Did you have a shift kit put into the transmission? If so that is the probably the problem, I say that because the 3,4 plunger will tend to stick.
put the oem shifting hardware back into the trans. that would be a good start.
I have never seen a shift kit so complicated like the 700r!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by street
Did you have a shift kit put into the transmission? If so that is the probably the problem, I say that because the 3,4 plunger will tend to stick.
put the oem shifting hardware back into the trans. that would be a good start.
I have never seen a shift kit so complicated like the 700r!!!

Your answer is incorrect. You need to read the complete thread before posting a comment.

I have locked this thread since the problem was found.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.