700R4 will only shift out of 1st at WOT - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 26
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
700R4 will only shift out of 1st at WOT

Hello all,

Please help me figure out why my 700R4 is not shifting correctly. Under normal driving, it will not shift out of first gear. It will only shift out of 1st at WOT. I have a diagnostic pressure gauge connected to the trans, and I am reading 80 PSI in park at idle. This raises to 150 PSI if the throttle is pressed (in park). TV cable has been checked several times and is adjusted properly.

Any ideas?


Thanks,
Ed

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Crosley's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ... USA
Posts: 8,173
Wiki Edits: 1659

Thanks: 405
Thanked 106 Times in 102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger
Hello all,

Please help me figure out why my 700R4 is not shifting correctly. Under normal driving, it will not shift out of first gear. It will only shift out of 1st at WOT. I have a diagnostic pressure gauge connected to the trans, and I am reading 80 PSI in park at idle. This raises to 150 PSI if the throttle is pressed (in park). TV cable has been checked several times and is adjusted properly.

Any ideas?


Thanks,
Ed
Please run this same test at idle , but pull the TV cable only. Do not increase the engine RPM.

You describe a trans that ''thinks'' the TV is fully pulled.

At engine idle the pressure of the trans should raise if the TV is pulled.

If you see little pressure change with NO engine RPM increase as the TV cable is pulled this would indicate a stuck TV inner valve.

This method of test would show a weak pump if the pressure does not increase to the same 150 psi you mention with throttle application in park
__________________
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 26
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
Please run this same test at idle , but pull the TV cable only. Do not increase the engine RPM.

You describe a trans that ''thinks'' the TV is fully pulled.

At engine idle the pressure of the trans should raise if the TV is pulled.

If you see little pressure change with NO engine RPM increase as the TV cable is pulled this would indicate a stuck TV inner valve.

This method of test would show a weak pump if the pressure does not increase to the same 150 psi you mention with throttle application in park
Awesome! Thank you for the response, Crosley. I will check that tonight and get right back to you.

Ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 26
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Crosley,

Here's a link to a video of the test that you asked me to perform.

At idle, the pressure is now sitting at 130 psi. It holds pretty steady as the TV cable is pulled put. What's odd is that when the cable is released, the pressure momentarily drops to 80 psi then returns to 130 psi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB0IlboxKts

If I do need to clean/unstick the TV valve, what parts will I need other than a pan gasket?


Thanks,
Ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Registered User
 

Last journal entry: update
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: over here
Posts: 216
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could it be a worn / broken gear on the governor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2011, 11:27 AM
Crosley's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: ... USA
Posts: 8,173
Wiki Edits: 1659

Thanks: 405
Thanked 106 Times in 102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger
Hello Crosley,

Here's a link to a video of the test that you asked me to perform.

At idle, the pressure is now sitting at 130 psi. It holds pretty steady as the TV cable is pulled put. What's odd is that when the cable is released, the pressure momentarily drops to 80 psi then returns to 130 psi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB0IlboxKts

If I do need to clean/unstick the TV valve, what parts will I need other than a pan gasket?


Thanks,
Ed

Sounds like a worn TV inner valve and bore. The oil is bypassing the valve and boosting the line oil. The trans will then ''think'' the trottle is WOT and shift late.

Some tiomes a TransGo TV valve setup will fix this problem. Other fix is the ream out for over size valve from Sonnax... Next option is replacement valve body. That is my best guess at the moment

__________________
Some people are like Slinkies... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
700R4 won't shift @ WOT Typhoon Transmission - Rearend 6 05-18-2009 07:22 AM
700R4 won't shift tombtomb Transmission - Rearend 5 06-23-2008 09:34 PM
700R4 won't shift out of first Tim in MD Transmission - Rearend 15 11-29-2007 09:00 PM
700r4 no shift!! MonteCarloDave Transmission - Rearend 2 07-19-2005 07:05 PM
What are the parts in a 700R4 2-3 TransGo shift kit 700R4 2-3 AngliaBob Transmission - Rearend 3 04-24-2005 12:25 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.