700r4 wont downshift into 1st when floored - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 09:29 PM
80's Reject

Wiki Edits: 0

700r4 wont downshift into 1st when floored

First post here cuz i really need help. When my 700r4 transmission shifts into second under light acceleration it will not downshift back into first under WOT. I have an edelbrock performer carb with the 700r4 tv cable corrector plate that bolts to the throttle. I set the tv cable up so that it is fully pulled out at WOT which results in no tension on the tv cable at idle. When i say no tension i dont mean its sloppy its right at the point where if it were to be pulled it would start to pull the throttle valve in the tranny. I am hoping someone here has had a similer problem and knows the culpret. Please HELP!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009, 01:11 AM

i used one of those correctors and the suck!!!take it of and tighten ur cable besides that cable is the line pressure on the trans if its to loose u will burn it up
Old 07-30-2009, 06:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I have used these carb geometry corrector brackets and they work well.

There is something else incorrect here to cause the cable to have 'slack' in it when the throttle is closed.

Perhaps something inside the trans linkage?

Is the TV cable level as it is mounted near the carb?
Old 07-30-2009, 04:15 PM
80's Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
I have used these carb geometry corrector brackets and they work well.

There is something else incorrect here to cause the cable to have 'slack' in it when the throttle is closed.

Perhaps something inside the trans linkage?

Is the TV cable level as it is mounted near the carb?

so im assuming the cable should be pulled out some at idle? if so how much? the cable is mounted to a bracket that bolts to the intake mainifold. the mounting point where the cable meets the mounting bracket is about one inch below the mounting point on the carb. do you think this would cause the problem?
Old 07-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Last photo:

Yes the TV cable should be pulled out slightly at idle. The normal adjustment procedure is to go by a pressure gage and pull the cable out just until you see a pressure increase and that is your idle position. Without the pressure gage you can try 1/8" or 1/4" out at idle.

Vince
Old 07-30-2009, 08:50 PM
80's Reject

anyone else have any insight on this topic? if it is the mainifold mount bracket anyone know of any nexpense carb mount brackets that fit edelbrock and wont rust? (please no chrome plated ones)
Old 07-30-2009, 09:00 PM
80's Reject

thank you vince. thats what i needed to know. time to go bracket shoping....AGAIN. thinking about it they should not even sell manifold mounted brackets due to the fact that all manifolds are different hights then you also got the carb spacer to consider... sigh wish i thouht of that before i bought that bracket.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Last photo:

I used the Lokar cable bracket on my 34, it bolts to the carb mounting flange instead of the manifold. I also have a 1" phenolic carb spacer and it causes no problem with the trans TV cable bracket. I am also using the Holley 700R4 bracket on the carb.

Vince
Old 08-04-2009, 05:33 PM
80's Reject

It wasnt the tv cable.... any ideas? new tv cable new tv cable bracket all set up properly wih the carb adjuster plate for the 700r4. set it up so cable would self adjust to proper settings which is all out at WOT and about an 1/8 inch out at idle. throttle cable is set up properly as well. tranny fluid has 5k miles on it and is at the correct level. i knew trans ams were cursed but damn. tranny governor is set up to shift at 5k and under light throttle shifts at the correct points. are 700r4s known for this problem? only other variable i can think ofis the shift cable, but i gets all four gears in drive. why wont my tranny shift back down to first at 15mph under WOT!?????????????

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.