Hot Rod Forum banner

700R4 won't engage in any gear

6K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  JohnnyBoy 
#1 ·
I am hoping someone can give me a clue as to what may have happened to my 700r4. I recently purchased and installed (50 miles or so ago) a "stage2" 700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives (700r4.com) with a 2200rpm stall. I went through all of the installation procedures as BO asked, and all pressures were correct, TV setting etc. The other day, I took the car out and got on it pretty hard. I had only gone about a mile from home, and I downshifted to first and then upshifted to second, full throttle of course, and got a good crisp shift. Then I upshifted to third, and as soon as third engaged, I felt the tranny release as if I had put it in neutral. Now the tranny wont engage in forward or reverse. It does absolutely nothing except produce a light whining noise in any gear, even neutral/park. The fluid is of course still bright red and has no odor as the trans has maybe 50 miles on it tops. The pressures are still as they were at: 100psi at idle 150psi in Drive/Reverse and 280psi full TV. Has anyone had a failure such as this? Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
obivously the pump is still functioning with pressure readings.

I would venture a guess that the drive splines of the turbine hub broke away inside the converter. This is a common failure of the 700 converter.

It is also possible the input shaft twisted out of the aluminum input drum or the drum broke where the input shaft presses in.

Hopefully you will receive some assistance from Bowtie.

[ April 27, 2003: Message edited by: Crosley ]</p>

#3 ·
Wow you mean some one had failer from the famous bowtie 700's I've heard so much about here? Guess no one's perfect I know I'm not(just had to go there) Does sound like converter, failers do happen to all of us sometime.I can admit it I had some before we are not God, like some people make us out to be.

#4 ·
yeah, i agree with crosley. i was with a friend who has a dodge dakota and he tried to spin the tires on wet pavement and it acted like it went into neutral. he twisted his torque converter shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.