700r4 wont shift out of first gear - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 05:53 AM
Roddin in OK

Last journal entry: Still Moving Forward
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

tv valve

What your pushing in and out is the plunger that works the tv valve. The plunger don't stick. To get to the tv valve you have to pull the valve body.I would have someone there that has experiance with transmissions to do this.the plunger your pushing has a spring between it and the tv valve.on older 700's there will be a aluminum sleeve the tv valve rides in .The valve body castings #'s 2264 does and i believe 4256 also has this.it's better to replace this valve body with a 4442 casting.The tv valve itself don't have a spring behind it.pressure pushes it back so if you go into it you just have to make sure the valve is free.As i said if you do go that far you should get a 700jr kit to put in it with the no stick tv valve[it does have a spring behind it.If you do decide to go into it that far beware your PARKING PAW WON'T HAVE ANYTHING HOLDING IT so it will slip out of park easy and the check balls have to go back like they were.the manual valve linkage can be tricky to get back in when your reinstalling the valve body.Like i said a professional or someone with some experiance is very advisable when doing this.Think safe and good luck.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 11:42 AM

GREAT!!! I'll try that right now! I'll give u the results shortly. THANKS
Old 01-03-2009, 01:42 AM

Dog On It!!!

Oooook: ( I Pulled The Valve Body And Checked The Valve, It Seemed A Little Jammed So I Pushed It Back And Foward With A Small Pic And Cleanded It With Wd40. Put It Back Together And It Shifted Smooth!!!!! Came To A Stop Sign And It Felt Like Its Stuck N 2nd...so I Pupped The Hood And Pulled The Tv Cable, I Felt A Thump Like Pause The First Pull The Rest Where Smooth. Drove It Again And No More Shift!!! Just First Again. Can It B Jammed Again???
Old 01-03-2009, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

Hate to say it but it probably is stuck again. Take some 600-800 grit wet/dry sand paper or a fine honing stone and debur the valve. If the aluminum sleeve is worn the valve rides in that may not help. The 700Jr kit 50Bluechevy is needed.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Roddin in OK

Last journal entry: Still Moving Forward
Last photo:

700 oh 700

SS is right on again. i would install the jr kit but if your stuck on the same valve,[pun not intended] If you can get your hands on some fine lapping compound,put it on the valve and work it back and forth it will deburr it. If it is the model with the aluminum sleeve, I would look for a trans parts house that sells used parts or a junk yard and get a 4442 casting valve body.this will replace it with no mods. the 700jr kit is a great ungrade though.Good luck.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

You can try these guys they have several listed.
http://mmerlinn.com/catalog/queen_yo..._f.htm#default

http://mmerlinn.com/catalog/makeridx.htm

http://home.teleport.com/~tsco/catal...dx.htm#default
Old 01-13-2009, 10:54 PM

how will it ack if the t.v cable is out of adjustment?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegal regal
how will it ack if the t.v cable is out of adjustment?
Improperly timed to no shifts.

The way these basically work is that the TV cable valves and the governor develop competing pressures, when certain ratios of pressures occur then certain valves move to initiate the element that effect the shift.

You had said that you worked on the pump. If the pump is not delivering the correct pressures, the shift schedule will also be messed up.

Bogie
Old 01-13-2009, 11:16 PM

ok my governor came out an 350 would that be the issue? i have a governor spring/weight kit. which spring/weight will make it shift quicker?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:22 PM

dose dust like metal flakes means the transmission is bad?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegal regal
dose dust like metal flakes means the transmission is bad?
Junk in the oil isn't good.

Yes it shows something is wearing.

As you've already encountered control valves can hang up, often this is caused by junk in the oil getting caught in the valve bores and sticking the valve.

To some extent metal power suspended in the oil isn't all that uncommon to see especially in old oil. In an overhaul of the pump, as you did, I'd assume that you took advantage of the situation and replaced all the oil since at that point you could have removed the torque converter and dumped the oil out of it, which is something that is otherwise difficult to accomplish.

If you didn't, the converter's contribution of old dirty oil to anything you added would be considerable and the new oil would become contaminated. So the trick now is to determine if you looking a new metal particles or old stuff.

Bogie
Old 01-16-2009, 02:07 PM

sticky t.v valve

where can i find a 700jr kit?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:48 PM

Its Fixed!!!

WHAT I DID WAS COMPELETLY DISASSEMBLED THE VALVE BODY. ONE VALVE IN THE REAR (opposite end of the pressure switches) WAS STUCK OPEN. SO I TOOK IT APART AND CLEANED IT IN DIESEL, LUBED IT UP GOOD AND CONTINUED ON WITH THE REST OF EM. PUT IT TOGETHER...FILLED IT UP...CHECKED FOR LEAKS THEN DROVE IT. THEN THERE IT WAS...SMOOTH AS AN CADILLAC BACK 75!!! THANKS EVERYBODY!!! HOPE THIS HELPS ANYBODY ELSE WHO HAVE THIS PROBLEM!
Old 02-06-2009, 07:18 PM

Same Problem Again

After driving for a day turning the car off. starting up and driving again... on 2nd gear!!! put a new valve body on it shift smooth. drove it again and no 2nd again!!! Any advice on what to do???
Old 02-07-2009, 01:11 PM

700r4 stuck in 1st

im having the same problem over and over. the tranny wont shift out of 1st. Ive had the valve body rebuilt twice and each time it shifts good but when i park it and drive it again it gets stuck in 1st. i even put another valve body on same problem. and i notice when i put it in reverse it goes in smooth but in drive it slams in gear. any suggestions

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.