Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '70s cars, under appreciated?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 08:55 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

It's funny that I found this post! I just saw the first Cosworth Vega that I have seen in over 30 years!!! It was at an eastside Tucson evening show last Saturday! {:-o

As far as the cars of the seventies. I think the cars of the very early seventies are still very appreciated! ...especially the "musclecar" and "pony car" varieties!

However, as a heavily involved enthusiast, the majority of the cars of that decade suffered from multiple problems. First, it was the beginning of the emissions era, and the cars went from being quick and exciting... to "slugs"! I don't even want to talk about my '76 Trans Am! What a PIG it was! ...and it still had to be tuned to where it almost wouldn't run at all... just to get it through emissions testing! {:-(

They also changed in appearance as things like rubber bumpers started being adapted... and most were pretty unattractive in the early years.

Lastly, the increasing use of plastics took 10-15 years, before the parts would last without cracking... dying in the sun... and falling apart.

Some of the cars were nicely styled... but as a performance enthusiast, and one who likes to see things well-engineered, the cars of the last 3/4 of the decade hold almost no attraction for me, because of my experiences. :-(

Sorry to be negative... but you asked for opinions. {:-)
The Following User Says Thank You to TucsonJay For This Useful Post:
dinger (02-03-2013)