Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '70s cars, under appreciated?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 PM

Last journal entry: 1930u more grill shell mods.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsaengine
I had 70's cars in the following order:

72 Camaro- nice style, terrible motor, trunk would fill up with water, dash electronics fried. ONly had car for 20 months

74 Vega GT station wagon - ordered it from factory, had to be repainted off the truck before taking delivery due to peeling, it got rust holes big as baseballs in fenders. kept it 12 months.

76 Buick Regal - nice looking car, some motor and trans issues, kept it 4 yr. traded it for an 80 Buick Regal DIESEL. That was THE worst ever. Traded it in 6mo for an 80 Mazda 626 and started a decade of buying foreign cars refusing to buy Detroit junk.

The next decade bought various Fiats, Mazdas, Nissans, Audi. All were pretty bad on retrospec so not sure that I accomplished anything buying foreign either!
I worked for GM during the mid to late 70's the cars were really bad. 1980 may have been the worst year ever because of the C-3 computer systems. In my opinion the X and A cars of the early 80's pulled GM out of a hole and by 1986 they were finally starting to turn the corner to better performance and quality.