Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - '70s cars, under appreciated?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 09:02 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rotary engine in a truck? Hmm....well you couldn't really blow it up by over-revving it but that would be a terrible power band for hauling.

I only have my Nova because I needed a cheap car quickly. Can't complain too much other than it is all rusted out (but they all did that in the 70's!)

Someone earlier in the thread hit the nail on the head. The lightweight Nova/Camaro and the Mustang II/Fox bodies made for quick cars after a few mods. They also had leagues better brakes and suspension designs than 60's cars.

Something most people forget when talking about 60's cars is the majority of "muscle cars" were sold with inline sixes or V8s with 1/2 barrel carbs! I'm talking about such jewels like the Dart Swingers with a slant six that runs a whopping 22sec 1/4 mi in 1969! Plymouth Satellites with 383 a two barrel is another example. 390 2V Ford Galaxie. 1967 Camaro with a 230 six or 307 V8 either with single barrel. All slugs. The 327SS or 440/426 big block was a rarity - as evidenced by today's prices. Most 60's Mustangs were also sixes or poor performing 289s. A 305 Camaro or that could run a 16sec 1/4 looks very good in this light!

On the AMC front in 1979 the Spirit came out with an optional 304ci V8 w/4sp that ran high 14's but no one bought it. There were also V8 Hornets, Gremlins, and even Pacers. That didn't save them either.