'70s cars, under appreciated? - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 PM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Right from the gate my high school days were filled with box cars with big blocks. They were cheap and still useable.

My freinds and I got the neighboorhoods and grandparent cars. Nice huge boats with full size engines.

the buick 72 riviera 455 boat tail
77 pontiac Grand Prix 400 t top
74 GTO 350
78 lincoln mk? 460
74 buick centurian 455

I really enjoyed those machines.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

The buick centurian was a huge convertible parade car. 455/400trans huge leg room in front and back. The top when down, had a bar on the backseat that you could sit up on. Once, I remember 3 couples , us road tripping to iowa state. Parting all the way , and it was like a convertible limo. Top down, driving exactly the speed limit due to ..... It was a boat and a pleasure cruise for sure.

Was there a larger 2 door car avalible?
Old 02-22-2013, 02:52 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
the 70's monte carlos were not that bad.
Your right, I had a 76 Monte Carlo, that was a great car, swivel white buckets, console, 8 track, 350 4bbl...I thought it had great styling, gas mileage was respectable and a beautiful ride. That and the Grand Prix...a step or 2 up from the Monte.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 PM

Last photo:

Back about 1979 I painted a mid 70s maverick grabber for a fellow. He was sure it was going to be a classic someday. Well I think he's still waiting!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Well Larry123, of all the post 1970 Fords (except maybe some of the boss 351 Mustangs) I'd say a Maverick would have a better than most chance of becoming a classic...as a matter of fact I wouldn't mind owning one, I like the plain yet assertive possibilities that it has. I regularly check Ebay and other resources and if I find one...I'd love to hot rod it...It's got decent lines, light weight and it sure is something you don't see a bunch of of at shows..,maybe it's just me, but I'd buy one.

I like this thread, it's opening up more possibilities for builds that may be overlooked. On a side note, I remember my small town local dealership raffling of a Maverick grabber with a 302...if memory serves me correctly, they didn't sell enough tickets to cover off the cost of the car...LOL...my buddy won it.

Ray
Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Someone else mentioned the Mid 70's Eldorado, What about Oldsmobile's Toronado, there again, great lines, incredible ride...another one I wouldn't mind in my collection. In 1983 I did a transmission on one of those, a 76 if I'm right, that had to be the hardest transmission I ever did...not the transmission itself, it was the R & R that was the nightmare. Still a great car...loved the body style.

Now I'm sitting here trying to rack my brain, there have to be a lot more desirable cars from that era.

Ray
Old 02-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Here's one by Buick, how about the Opel GT, (the mini Vette), another one that I wouldn't mind having, if I could find one with a decent body to start with, if I remember correctly, they where rust traps, I know, not uncommon for the era.

Ray
Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 PM

Last photo:

Agreed the 70-73 mavs were pretty sweet. Had a red wall Hot wheels of one. The 78 Cutlass I liked alot. And I think it was in 78 that the LiL red Express was the fastest production vehicle that rolled out of Detroit, it smoked a Vette. So sad. The early TA's were the @#!%, one of the nicest handeling cars I've ever driven. The big *** Fury/Polara, Grand Prix style cars are pretty choice cruisers too.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Here's one by Buick, how about the Opel GT, (the mini Vette), another one that I wouldn't mind having, if I could find one with a decent body to start with, if I remember correctly, they where rust traps, I know, not uncommon for the era.

Ray
I looked over an Opel GT at a swap meet couple of years ago, donít see many of them around. This one was to far gone for my skills. I always thought the coolest thing about them was the lever you pulled on to pop the headlights up. Wonder if you could fit a V8 in one?

My dad bought mom a Camaro Z28 in 77, I was in high school, it was a nice ride, black with the red/orange graphics.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFX View Post
Agreed the 70-73 mavs were pretty sweet. Had a red wall Hot wheels of one. The 78 Cutlass I liked alot. And I think it was in 78 that the LiL red Express was the fastest production vehicle that rolled out of Detroit, it smoked a Vette. So sad. The early TA's were the @#!%, one of the nicest handeling cars I've ever driven. The big *** Fury/Polara, Grand Prix style cars are pretty choice cruisers too.
Wasn't the 74, TA with the SD package that was the fastest production Firebird made? I just looked it up and in 74 they had the Super Duty package 455 rated a t 290 HP with an advertised 390 ft lbs of torque.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I don't know if this car has been mentioned or not...and maybe it shouldn't...it was back in the day when Chrysler was in the tank and Lee Iacoca was brought in to save the company...he took basic platforms, but a 1/2 vinyl roof and plush interiors in them...Called the 4 door Volarie a 5th Avenue, took the K Car..added a few moldings to the bumper, half vinyl roof and fluffy interior and called it the New Yorker. In 1978 he made a 2 door Volarie or Aspen..not sure which, put in a 360, 4 speed, gave it the R/T package and called it a Road Runner...it was about a $900 option. Not many where made so who knows, that might be worth a few bucks someday, after all, even the grocery getter Camaro's, 2 door Nova's, Mustang's, Cuda's and Challenger's from the 60's are fetching a fair dollar today.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry123 View Post
I looked over an Opel GT at a swap meet couple of years ago, donít see many of them around. This one was to far gone for my skills. I always thought the coolest thing about them was the lever you pulled on to pop the headlights up. Wonder if you could fit a V8 in one?

My dad bought mom a Camaro Z28 in 77, I was in high school, it was a nice ride, black with the red/orange graphics.
Yes you can put a V8 in an Opel, it's been done quite often and make a nice little light to light screamer...Do the suspension and frame and those cars are competitive on the 1/4 mile scene as well (most people that I've heard of that put a small block in an Opel did frame work, even for the street).

Didn't GM come with a Z27 package for Camaro's in...I think it was 76 and 77? I'm sure iI had a friend that owned one back then.

Ray
Old 02-22-2013, 11:53 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Yes you can put a V8 in an Opel, it's been done quite often and make a nice little light to light screamer...Do the suspension and frame and those cars are competitive on the 1/4 mile scene as well (most people that I've heard of that put a small block in an Opel did frame work, even for the street).

Didn't GM come with a Z27 package for Camaro's in...I think it was 76 and 77? I'm sure iI had a friend that owned one back then.

Ray
Yes a Z28 came back in 77 ,no 75 or 76s, I have owned and still own :this 77 since 77 they are idntified by painted aluminum bumpers + other74& 75 had alum.bumpers but were lt or base ,78 above had ureathane bumpers.these are a cople grand prix i had a looong time ago,1 ithe blue is a 65 421 and yje burgandy is a 63 389 3x2 .black and white picture,an interesting note ,the 63 i buught from JR Samples of Hee Haw,probably before your time,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	71635   Click image for larger version

Name:	031.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	71636  
Old 02-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

sorry X28 did not post.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Well...if I'm correct, it may be Canada only but I don't think so...Camaro's in the mid 70's did have a middle of the road performance package called the Z27, they did have the Z28 but, if it's possible, the Z27 was just a little less performance and maybe a little more luxury...I'll check it out and post a link.

I love the 421...that engine put Pontiac on the NASCAR map in the early 60's and the 389 was their bread and butter engine for years. I've always been a Pontiac fan and was sorry to see GM let them go.

Ray

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.