Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   General Rodding Tech (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/general-rodding-tech/)
-   -   70's Drag Question (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/70s-drag-question-31592.html)

Jag Daddy 01-05-2004 11:48 AM

70's Drag Question

In the 70's they used to have some of the cars that had the front end lifted a couple feet and big racing slicks in the back. If I remember these were mostly gassers but I seem to remember them having a name. Anyone know what it was?

Regards
Mark:thumbup:

rock 01-05-2004 05:08 PM

maybe

Could you be talking about either the Willys coupes like Stone,Woods and Cook or the 48 Angilas like Johnny Loper
ran. Those are the only cars that I remember as being lifted or high in the air. They all had straight front axles was the reason they were higher than most drag cars.
rock

bullheimer 01-05-2004 05:28 PM

THIS q ASKED AND ANSWERED LIKE A MONTH AGO. GASSERS IS RIGHT. SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS:eek:

poncho62 01-05-2004 05:29 PM

The gassers were mostly popular in the 60s. They were phased out in the mid to late 60s as the funny cars grew in popularity.

Gassers were the "forefathers " of the funny cars.

bonuts 01-05-2004 06:01 PM

You talkin' about the RamChargers? They did some wild cars in the 60's-70's. Your description, these guys are what come to mind. I know they're not really gassers, but they did have thefront lifted, and slicks in the 70's:confused: Could be. They were also the guys who moved the rear-end forward in the car (I think they were first)

bonuts

poncho62 01-05-2004 06:10 PM

You are correct...........sir.

The Ramchargers were one of the 1st, if not the 1st to run the alterd wheelbased cars. The cars, after a while, looked so strange, that they were dubbed "Funny Cars"

They were originally running in the stock and super stock classes, but things got so out of hand, that they branched them off into their own class. It was 1st called factory experimental (F/X), then evolved into funny car (F/C)

A few of the others were Dick Landy, Dickie Harrell, Gene Snow

Jag Daddy 01-05-2004 11:28 PM

Yep that was it. Sorry to waste your bandwith Bullhiemer. I has some pics of the cars but no name to put with them. Somewhere I got the name Highboy tied to them.

Regards
Mark:thumbup:

Weimer 01-06-2004 01:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is still my favorite Gasser styled car. The owner is from Norwalk Ohio and is a fellow HR.com member. BTW I took this pic at Columbus Goodguys 2003.
Later,
WEIMER

bullheimer 01-06-2004 11:10 AM

too bad you dont have a 'scriipt to Hot Rod mag. they have been running arts. and pics of gassers all year long. they actually built there own called the wilshire shaker. went thru the whole trip of altering the wheel base and everything. i love the look. would be great to jack up the front of my car with some air shocks to retain my front end, remove the fenderwells since i hardly drive it anyway and install some fenderwell headers!! vroom vrooom!!:thumbup:

anybody gotta tunnel ram out there for a poncho??:cool:

32Steel 01-06-2004 11:55 AM

There is a great book that came out recently called "Gasser Wars". Lots of rare pics. I gives the history of the original gassers. I'm a huge fan of those cars. Before I die, I would like to own a 41 Willys and a gasser style 55 Chev.

dynodon 01-06-2004 12:17 PM

I ran a b gas nova in 1972 at english town

THERE ARE A FEW YAHOO CLUBS FOR THE OLD GASSERS AND PLUM WHO SHOT A LOT OF PICS IN THE 70S JUST STARTED A YAHOO CLUB F/X CARS these are the cars you are talking about ,altered wheelbase by 1966 everybody went to fiberglass bodies but not jungle jim he ran a fliptop 1967 nova in 67 sorry for the caps didnt know it was locked

willys36@aol.com 01-06-2004 12:33 PM

:D :D

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/data/5...D3-4_rear3.jpg

Check out

Gasser Madness!

Crazy Mopar Guy 01-06-2004 12:56 PM

Does anybody remember "High and Mighty", the 392 powered Plymouth that the Ramchargers team raced back in the 50's?
The car looked bizarre, but had a ton of racing innovations.

I think it was the first Ramchargers full bodied car there was? They won in "altered" class or something back in the late 50's with it.

Weimer- that car is absolutely gorgeous, does it have it's own site? Any links?

dynodon 01-07-2004 06:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A freind from chicago still has his first car he ever bought and he raced it to in c gas Shake Rattle and run

i dont think pic attached there are some sites ,the high and mighty yes i have pics somewhere i will look

camaroman7d 01-07-2004 11:45 AM

Man those old pictures are great. Thanks for sharing.

The straight axle front ends actually worked pretty good, the weight was/is already transfered. So traction would be less of a problem with a setup like that. The problem is it also hurts you on the big end since the nose is in the wind.

I like the look and love the old drag cars.

There is a purple GTO that I have seen run in Sacramento, it is blown and injected on alcohol, it has a straight front axle and is WICKED fast. I saw him with it on the street at an event in Redding. This car sounds and runs awesome.

The plates read EYE BURNER (I forget how he abbreviated it)