Thread: 71 302 build
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Wrench Turner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
OEM Ford 302's tend to be pretty puny with their much heralded thin wall casting with many literally splitting in half. Yeah, those are very stressed and modified. Also with a used (abused?) salvage yard block, you have little knowledge of past life. Where they split is between the first main and the first camshaft bearing, and is not an unusual thing. Any of these salvage yard SB Fords need to have at least a minimum of a dye check with even more testing like mag particle if any questions.

As far as keeping an EFI, not a bad idea if the entire system is included with the engine purchase. Unfortunately, the only pieces you normally will get from a junk yard will be what's on the engine. The best way is to buy a complete running car. After market wiring/sensors/computers is not an inexpensive proposition, even stock replacement parts, and why I suggest a carb = and of course there are drawbacks such as possibly needing a front sump oil pan and oil pick up, different timing housing, fuel pump eccentric just to name a few things. I do run SB Fords (5.0's mostly and have gone through most of these pains)
I've had the experience of seeing 302 blocks cracking from just sitting.In my experience,i've seen cracks mostly @ the rear of the block.Usually from the crank & outwards of it.