Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 71 SBC 350 build question/opinions - also new - Hi
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Old School Chevy Truck Guy

Wiki Edits: 0

Thank you for the replies.

454C10 - I am assuming so too on the rear end being the one in there is stock. But in my shed, I have the factory posi that off the truck, the old clutch type - I am thinking it is geared different and that is what will go back on it. Of course, once I get a good look at everything inside is started to develope bearing noise, so I did a quick change out from another truck.

1BadLeman - I had considered the 64CC head route, but think I'll stick with the cast and the stock valve train for now. I can always upgrade later.

Techinspector1 - I wouldn't figure many would recommend the old cast iron intake over an aluminum one with the holley. On a side note - the aluminum intake may be a performer RPM, if that makes a difference. I happen to have the original intake for this motor still. Towing is very minimal on this truck - it will mainly be driven on the street and to work most of the time. Still go with the cast iron intake?
I'll have to pick up a new Carb - any suggestion on CFM's?
I too like the sound of a quad opening up. I've had my fair share of them over the years.
Your Question about it being a virgin block and the deck heigth - I am the 2nd owner on this truck and I know for a fact that the drive train is all original, down to the transmission. This is the first rebuild on this motor and after getting the machining done - no deck heigth was shaved.
In questioning the pistons and head gaskets - They are also from summit
The pistons are ZH345ACP20 - I was limited due to .20 bore and didn't drop the extra $$ for forged. It looks like it's slighty below your 1.560" recommendation - looks like it's @ 1.548"
Based off this added information, using those pistons mentioned - would you change to a different head gasket then what comes in that kit? any recommendations or opinions for everything said above?
The gasket set with the heads gaskets I have already puchased also are: Z2601000 - also from summit.

Last edited by Mr. M; 04-23-2013 at 04:08 PM.