Hot Rod Forum banner

72 355

626 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  stu_yoakam 
#1 ·
how would you expect a 72 355 to run with a torker II intake and 434= 305 heads? don't know the cam size. thanks. It is a 3970010 block from a 72 chevelle.

#2 ·
Probably terrible. Tiny chambers will skyrocket the compression. Tiny intake ports that were barely capable of supporting a 305 will neuter that 355 above about 4000 rpms. Torkers are old-school. They really suck compared to modern dual-planes. You'll give up TQ and HP (not to mention MPG, throttle response, cold start characteristics, streetability, vacuum, and several other things) compared to something like a Performer RPM.

Tiny heads, big compression, outdated intake. That's about as much of a mismatch as you can get. Sorry to bust chops, but I'm sure you didn't ask us if you didn't want the truth.

... and not knowing the cam size is like going on a diet without first knowing how much you weigh. Its probably the most important factor.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input. I know its a single plane. I have a dual plane weiand 8004 on my old engine and can shop around for different heads. Swap is saturday. We'll see.

Found the same heads on ebay. Says 1.72 intake valve with 60cc chambers.
Torker won't work with qjet or non electric choke anyway. Oh well, more crap to sell at the swap in May (right here in town) VACATION!!!

The heads are dated 2-77 so that's probably @ the time it was redone and bored out. Car was 72 Chevelle 3 owner with around 80k miles showing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.