Hot Rod Forum banner

72 camino light switch knob

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bullheimer 
#1 ·
well the old light switch knob in my camino crumbled on me, I pulled it out to turn on the lights and the thing just fell apart, anyone know a trick to get the rod out of the dash so I can put in the replacement?

#2 ·
This is for most '81 and earlier:

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the instrument panel bezel, retained on most model years with six screws (varies among models and years).
Pull the headlight control knob on the ON position.
The mounting plate on most 1981 and earlier vehicles is for both the windshield wiper switch and light switch. On most 1982 and later vehicles, the windshield wiper control/switch has been relocated to the multi-function lever and the steering column.

Remove the screws (usually three) attaching the light switch mounting plate to the instrument cluster and pull the assembly rearward.
Depress the shaft retainer on the switch, then pull the knob and shaft assembly out.
Remove the ferrule nut and switch assembly from the mounting plate.
To install:

Install the switch assembly to the mounting plate, then install the ferrule nut.
Install the knob and shaft assembly.
Install the screws attaching the wiper switch/light switch mounting plate to the instrument cluster.
Install the instrument panel bezel and retaining screws.
Connect the negative battery cable.

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.