Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   72 Chevelle convert auto to manual transmission (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/72-chevelle-convert-auto-manual-transmission-229206.html)

dub 02-04-2013 11:51 PM

72 Chevelle convert auto to manual transmission

Hey all,

I was wanting to convert my 72 Chevelle from an auto to a manual.
Can someone tell me where to find the correct info? Such as what trans would fit best, pedals, linkage and so on?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

AutoGear 02-05-2013 07:29 AM

A couple things you need to ask yourself are 1) what do i want to do with this and 2) whats my budget.

The quickest and easiest is to hop on Team Chevelle and find someone there who is doing a 4speed manual (usually a Muncie, but sometimes a T10) to overdrive swap. Hopefully they'll also be removing the clutch linkage and you can pick up almost everything for about a grand, trans included.

The stuff that fits best is the OEM stuff from the factory cars. The reproduction stuff probably fits the bill, but it can take a lot of rework sometimes to fit properly.

Im sure one of the catalog companies has a 4 speed install kit. Youll need a bellhousing, gearbox, shifter, shifter linkage, clutch, throwout bearing, Z-bar, pedals...oh and a flywheel installed on your motor amongst other things.

If you're running a stock motor, or mildly warmed over, a stock M20 will fit your bill just fine; has a 2.52 1st gear and you'll need a 3.42, 3.55 or 3.73 rear axle gear.

A 72 Chevelle would have a 26 spline input and a 32 spline output, regardless of the ratio of the Muncie (M20, M21 or M22). This also means you could use a Super T10, Id recommend a 2.64 1st gear or a 2.88 1st gear. For the 2.64 1st, Id recommend the same rear gears as the M20, for the 2.88 1st I would use a 3.23 or 3.08 rear gear.

If you try to use a 27 spline output Muncie or T10, you'll need a new driveshaft and have to modify the shifter/ shifter bracket to make it fit in the console (assuming you have one)

Other options:
Aftermarket Muncie with M22W or M22Z gearset
Doug Nash 4+1 (Richmond 5 speed)
Richmond ROD
TKO
T56
TR-6060

Id open a second thread over on the Team Chevelle manual trans webpage; according to Jody over there, the later chevelles can have some unique requirements to install stickshifts. Ive never put one in a later chevelle, although several of our customers have.

Keep us posted!

dub 02-06-2013 10:59 PM

Wow,
I wasnt expecting all that info. Thats awsome!

I am going to try to collect the parts over time, as I just sank about a grand into it. New rims and tires, pozzi rear end, 3.73 gears and drop springs. Oh boy oh boy, runs like a dream.
I would like a tranny with a 5 speed though, i see myself running out of gears at some point.
But thanks again for all the info.

Mike

gearheadslife 02-06-2013 11:32 PM

American powetrain
Shop by Make - GM

5 or 6spd kits.. no need for much in the way of oem parts other than the pedal
bonus you'll have hyd clutch and not a overly stiff 70's style knee killer

a munce and or t-10 need magor beefing to life on todays rubber,, they broke with the no traction tires in the 70's you'll flat out kill them on todays rubber..
spending 1000+ for used parts then needing another 1000+ in upgrades to let it live is not wise..
as I'm guess'n you what the stick for more than just show.. you are going to wheel the thing

dub 02-06-2013 11:35 PM

Will a T5 out of an 80's camaro fit properly?

gearheadslife 02-07-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dub (Post 1643582)
Will a T5 out of an 80's camaro fit properly?

do you like rebuilding it all the time.. g.m. didn't put them behind 350's for a reason

dub 02-07-2013 11:43 PM

Im glad I have people on here like you guys. Because I cant rebuild a transmission, so I guess the 80's trany wont be an option. I guess there are certain things you dont go cheap on....and a tranny would be one of them.....

gearheadslife 02-08-2013 06:40 AM

I just know from having a 85 t/a with 305/t5 and turbo's and I got very good at r&r'n the t5.. I has a spare ready to go. at all times..
don't get me wrong, if you drove normally, it last.. but any type of lead foot, and it'll break..